Discuss Can anyone spot anything wrong with this? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello

I have some decking lights which to be fair, have been nothing but pain in the bottom since they were installed. Moisture in the lens lamps causing them to trip and a lovely bit of fun with rodents chewing through the wiring.
Having spent a lot of time making sure they were sealed to avoid them tripping and running Ahmer cable from the lamps to the boxes to the house. I thought the worst of it was over.
However, seems to have a new issue where they tripped and replaced fuse and now no longer function at all. They don’t trip they don’t turn on so I replaced the fuse socket and now the LED indicator of power comes on but no lights, so, where is any Outside issues with either water or exposed cable will indicate there was an issue and trip now they just stay on and don’t trip.

I have added a wiring diagram of the fused socket next to a single gang usb socket and how it’s wired, any mistakes anyone can spot there? Single gang works fine as do the usb ports
The fused sockets Led turns on when switched and tested power but nothing to the lights outside?

Does anyone have any ideas? Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_6477.jpeg
    652.2 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_6476.jpeg
    337.3 KB · Views: 99
Sorry, but the diagram is just a mess.

You have the ring (rfc) going into the 1 gang socket, and both legs into the supply side of the switches fuse?
A ring doesn’t go “in” and “out”…. Both ends go “in”
The load goes “out”

Deck lights are bad for water ingress, and it sounds as if there’s now a broken wire somewhere, which could be dangerous.

Check the connections at each of the joint boxes, with the power off. If no lights are working, it’s possibly the first light on the circuit that there’s a problem

Edit.
This seems to be a repost of an earlier thread back in May.

Last edited:

You have the ring (rfc) going into the 1 gang socket, and both legs into the supply side of the switches fuse?
The load goes “out”

Deck lights are bad for water ingress, and it sounds as if there’s now a broken wire somewhere, which could be dangerous.

Check the connections at each of the joint boxes, with the power off. If no lights are working, it’s possibly the first light on the circuit that there’s a problem

Edit.
Now I’m going to take that telling off, as I’m not gonna get a A grade in electrical technology with that! NOTED

SO HVE ATTACHED THE BACK AMD FRONT OF THE UNITS

How would you wire it ? Treat it as two spurs?

Fuse obviously has the lights going out of it, I didn’t wire this I hasten to add, so was replicating what was there and they were linking up the sockets for some reason?..

Will send as well what I think your saying.. if you could just add the lines for me or say if that’s right that would be fab. Thanks so much for your time amd help

Attachments

• IMG_6568.jpeg
    624.5 KB · Views: 48
I cant make out the details on the connections on the switch fuse.... but most of them are marked Lin, Lout, Nin and Nout.... or they are marked as L-Supply, L-load, N-Supply, N-load... or something like that.

Both reds go into L of the socket, Both blacks go into N
Reds of the ring on the switch fuse go to Lin, or L-supply... Blacks both into the corresponding N.

Your outgoing lights are from Lout, or L-load and Nout/Nload

I haven't mentioned the earths, as there isnt really an IN and OUT terminal... but just make sure they are all connected.

3A fuse in the switch fuse.

The load goes “out”

Edit.
I cant make out the details on the connections on the switch fuse.... but most of them are marked Lin, Lout, Nin and Nout.... or they are marked as L-Supply, L-load, N-Supply, N-load... or something like that.

Both reds go into L of the socket, Both blacks go into N
Reds of the ring on the switch fuse go to Lin, or L-supply... Blacks both into the corresponding N.

Your outgoing lights are from Lout, or L-load and Nout/Nload

I haven't mentioned the earths, as there isnt really an IN and OUT terminal... but just make sure they are all connected.

3A fuse in the switch fuse.
Ok this is what I think is right, tell me if not 🫤

Attachments

• IMG_6568.jpeg
    214.8 KB · Views: 58
Ok this is what I think is right, tell me if not 🫤

No because that breaks the ring final circuit and creates a dangerous situation and potential fire risk.

You should get an electrician to fix this for you, if you don't understand the basic principals of electrical circuits then we can't teach you how to do it over a forum.

Remeber electricity can be lethal, a simple mistake could be incredibly painful or cost you your life.

No because that breaks the ring final circuit and creates a dangerous situation and potential fire risk.

You should get an electrician to fix this for you, if you don't understand the basic principals of electrical circuits then we can't teach you how to do it over a forum.

Remeber electricity can be lethal, a simple mistake could be incredibly painful or cost you your life.
I do take precautions matey
Turn off and check and have the tools for that

Here’s a diagram now of how I think it should look

So having had them off the wall today this is a sour off the original single gang socket and correct me if I’m wrong, wired like this ?

Ty

Attachments

• IMG_6591.jpeg
    543.7 KB · Views: 60
I do take precautions matey
Turn off and check and have the tools for that

Here’s a diagram now of how I think it should look

So having had them off the wall today this is a sour off the original single gang socket and correct me if I’m wrong, wired like this ?

Ty
Thanks for everyone’s help

Was a little more than just the socket, had 3 junction box’s filled with water and somehow little critters gad even chewed through the bloody armoured cabling in 2 places. See my pics but all back functioning as they should.
Really appreciate thus forum and everyone’s help!

Best Neil

Attachments

• IMG_6694.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 46
  • IMG_6693.jpeg
    774 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_6690.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 49

Reply to Can anyone spot anything wrong with this? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net