Discuss Moved a BT master socket in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

"It has nothing to do with having the skills or the difficulty of moving it, it ain't yours to move."
It ain't mine...agreed.
Can I move it?
Yes, I can.
Rent your TV? Not yours, but I think you can move it...
Lease your car? Not yours, but useless if you can't move it...
It's down to degree, methinks...
Got a gas meter? Not yours. Can you move it? Nope, it's different, it needs skills, equipment, and there is a risk to life if you make a mess of it...
So knowing that openreach wont allow you alter their install, they basically own that part of your house. So if I wanted to knock down or alter wall which they have installed a cable or phone point on I cant with out their permission?

Interesting analogy:)
Also, as I have a shareholding, that makes the socket partly mine anyway...albeit, alterations to common property normally require consent of all owners...however, a socket, by virtue of its minimal degree of annexation to the property, makes it moveable not heritable...so move it if you want, just don't remove it from the property.

You are entitled to your opinion...
I to mine...
I do feel that a BT master socket is in a different and minor league though...
Oh, and I find the use of the word "ignorant" somewhat annoying and falling outwith the forum criteria, but as it matters not to me, I'll just ignore it...
see what I did there?
I chose the word ignorant for its meaning of lacking knowledge or awareness of the situation. People feel the moving of a master socket to be feasible due to its low risk of danger, this risk is totally irrelevant to the fact of interfering with property which is of no concern other than the owner, Openreach.

Last edited:
So knowing that openreach wont allow you alter their install, they basically own that part of your house. So if I wanted to knock down or alter wall which they have installed a cable or phone point on I cant with out their permission?
So you wouldn't consult your gas provider in a similar situation.

It's not the same, clearly. I am aware what ignorant means, and I lack neither knowledge nor awareness....when it comes to a BT socket.
I lack knowledge when it comes to a gas meter, but not awareness, therefore I am not ignorant in that scenario either...I make a judgement.

Having worked for many years in shopfitting, the amount of times BT have turned up in the first week of the job when walls havent even been constructed is alot. All they do is fit the outlet/s with a very long length of cable and ask us to route it for them as they wont be re visiting.

It's not the same, clearly. I am aware what ignorant means, and I lack neither knowledge nor awareness....when it comes to a BT socket.
I lack knowledge when it comes to a gas meter, but not awareness, therefore I am not ignorant in that scenario either...I make a judgement.
Your judgement being you can alter something you have no right to interfere with.

It's not your "privilege" to exceed the speed limit either, or to park in an inappropriate place. No-one is denying your stance, merely defending the alternative stance that is that is not unreasonable to re-site a very low-risk item, notwithstanding legal "ownership".
OK, it's "wrong" to interfere, but life must go on...
I had no "right" to attend my neighbours property last week when they were on holiday to make a gate secure...but I committed no offence that would have resulted in a conviction. I would call on negotiorum gestio in my defence, and the Court would dismiss it de minimis anyway...as I said, it'dsthe "degree", and that is a judgement for the individual. Trust me, unless you cause trouble or damage by moving a BT socket, you areunlikely to face prosecution. On the other hand, if you move the gas meter...well, that's a whole different scenario, in my opinion.
Now, I see my glass is empty...so if you will forgive me, gentlemen and ladies, I will pour my nightcap and retire for the night, wishing you all a good rest and a happy awakening.

It's not your "privilege" to exceed the speed limit either, or to park in an inappropriate place. No-one is denying your stance, merely defending the alternative stance that is that is not unreasonable to re-site a very low-risk item, notwithstanding legal "ownership".
I had no "right" to attend my neighbour's property last week when they were on holiday, to make a gate secure...but I committed no offence that would have resulted in a conviction. I would call on negotiorum gestio in my defence, and the Court would dismiss it de minimis anyway...as I said, it's the "degree", and that is a judgement for the individual. Trust me, unless you cause trouble or damage by moving a BT socket, you are unlikely to face prosecution. On the other hand, if you move the gas meter...well, that's a whole different scenario, in my opinion.
Now, I see my glass is empty...so if you will forgive me, gentlemen and ladies, I will pour my nightcap and retire for the night, wishing you all a good rest and a happy awakening.

I had no "right" to attend my neighbour's property last week when they were on holiday, to make a gate secure...but I committed no offence that would have resulted in a conviction. I would call on negotiorum gestio in my defence, and the Court would dismiss it de minimis anyway...as I said, it's the "degree", and that is a judgement for the individual. Trust me, unless you cause trouble or damage by moving a BT socket, you are unlikely to face prosecution. On the other hand, if you move the gas meter...well, that's a whole different scenario, in my opinion.
speeding is a privilege , cant tell you how many warnings ive recieved, only got points when i was really taking the ---- LOL

To those who have cut a live BT cable when moving a master, did you ring and slit the cable, then cut the wires individually, or just chop the cable with your regular wire cutters/shears, thereby causing a split second short circuit at the exchange?

very low-risk item,

Touch an old ISDN line at -96v DC and then tell me it's very low risk!! Believe me, it's not pleasant!!

sure that 96
upload_2018-6-3_9-26-42.png
is the a.c.voltage to ringbell.

Reply to Moved a BT master socket in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net