Discuss Moved a BT master socket in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

"It has nothing to do with having the skills or the difficulty of moving it, it ain't yours to move."
It ain't mine...agreed.
Can I move it?
Yes, I can.
Rent your TV? Not yours, but I think you can move it...
Lease your car? Not yours, but useless if you can't move it...
It's down to degree, methinks...
Got a gas meter? Not yours. Can you move it? Nope, it's different, it needs skills, equipment, and there is a risk to life if you make a mess of it...
So knowing that openreach wont allow you alter their install, they basically own that part of your house. So if I wanted to knock down or alter wall which they have installed a cable or phone point on I cant with out their permission?

Interesting analogy:)
Also, as I have a shareholding, that makes the socket partly mine anyway...albeit, alterations to common property normally require consent of all owners...however, a socket, by virtue of its minimal degree of annexation to the property, makes it moveable not heritable...so move it if you want, just don't remove it from the property.

You are entitled to your opinion...
I to mine...
I do feel that a BT master socket is in a different and minor league though...
Oh, and I find the use of the word "ignorant" somewhat annoying and falling outwith the forum criteria, but as it matters not to me, I'll just ignore it...
see what I did there?
I chose the word ignorant for its meaning of lacking knowledge or awareness of the situation. People feel the moving of a master socket to be feasible due to its low risk of danger, this risk is totally irrelevant to the fact of interfering with property which is of no concern other than the owner, Openreach.

Last edited:
So knowing that openreach wont allow you alter their install, they basically own that part of your house. So if I wanted to knock down or alter wall which they have installed a cable or phone point on I cant with out their permission?
So you wouldn't consult your gas provider in a similar situation.

It's not the same, clearly. I am aware what ignorant means, and I lack neither knowledge nor awareness....when it comes to a BT socket.
I lack knowledge when it comes to a gas meter, but not awareness, therefore I am not ignorant in that scenario either...I make a judgement.

Reply to Moved a BT master socket in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net