Discuss Moved to a flat aerial socket loose and is not connected ? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
HI i just moved to a flat. The TV reception is sporadic at best and we have been needing to re-tune it every few days. I have tried to look online and all the sockets seem to be wired in and the live wire connected ? Does this look normal ? Any advice would be great thank you.
[automerge]1590129701[/automerge]
posted this a bit early, the socket doesnt seem to be wired to anything and just the copper wire touching the back ? is the copper wire live and i have to worry about a shock or can i use my hands and pliars to try and put it back to something? what part does it need to go back onto ?

Attachments

• Moved to a flat aerial socket loose and is not connected ? IMG_20200521_215813 - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_20200521_215813.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 42
  • Moved to a flat aerial socket loose and is not connected ? IMG_20200521_215838 - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_20200521_215838.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 42
  • Moved to a flat aerial socket loose and is not connected ? IMG_20200521_215845 - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_20200521_215845.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 41
  • Moved to a flat aerial socket loose and is not connected ? IMG_20200521_215849 - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_20200521_215849.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 39
  • Moved to a flat aerial socket loose and is not connected ? IMG_20200522_072231 - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_20200522_072231.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 35
  • Moved to a flat aerial socket loose and is not connected ? IMG_20200522_072233 - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_20200522_072233.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
You won’t get a shock off a tv aerial.

as for where the cables go? I’m not sure. What all else is inside the box there?

unscrew the plate showing the in and out arrows. I think behind there, there will be a slot for the centre core to push into, and the plate grips the braided outer core.
That’s just a guess.
Don’t let the centre core and braid touch each other, or it will lose signal.

Rented? Get the landlord to fix it

hey guys thank you for the response, i managed to take the center bit off and put the copper cable in and its working perfectly ive got more channels then i have ever had only problem is the copper cable is not long enough and i cannot put the socket back on flush its angled down, is there anyway i can easily extend the copper cable ?

you may be able to pull a bit of slackdown the wall if cable is in tube or capping. alternative would be to move the socket up the wall by an inch or so. bit of redec after.

You could get an inline coax coupler, add a short length of cable to the existing, and hopefully stuff the excess up the wall...not perfect, but worth a try.

Theres is no slack it super tight, just wanted something now so we could get tv for the kids. Is extending it an easy thing to do ? I just need a little bit to be able to get the socket on safely. cant get anyone out to look at it at the moment with everything going on

Attachments

• Moved to a flat aerial socket loose and is not connected ? IMG_20200522_115949 - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_20200522_115949.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 28
  • Moved to a flat aerial socket loose and is not connected ? IMG_20200522_115955 - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_20200522_115955.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 27
as there is no voltage present, it's perfectly safe hanging off. subject to being damaged though. I's shift the whole lot up an inch.

Could the module be mounted upside down to make it fit back into the plate? Or sideways on over to the left?
The other modules are just single blanks, so can be fitted anywhere.

This reminds me of the New build flat I rented with my then girlfriend now wife back in 2007.
the lounge and both bedrooms had a twin coax / sat / phone point in the corner of each the roomS.

these jobbies

Non of the cables were connected into the modules at all.
they were all just folded up and pushed back into the box and the plate screwed over them.
that must be how they second fix a flat in a day :)

Reply to Moved to a flat aerial socket loose and is not connected ? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock