Discuss Moving from design into domestic install in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I am just looking for some advice if you could please, Ill give you a quick run down.

For the past few years I have been working in electrical design as a CAD Technician. Mainly doing lighting calculations, layouts, SLD's and cable calcs etc. Well i have come to a point where my job is in danger of being lost and i was considering a move towards domestic installation, with a future idea of getting myself into some property. I do have some electrical knowledge for example installing sockets etc from many years ago at college. I also completed my 18th edition last year and a HNC in electrical & electronic engineering.

I am just wondering if i was to try move into becoming an electrician what my best ways of doing this would be in the opinion of a lot of people here already being a spark. Obviously i could move into an apprenticeship, although i would have to take a bit of a pay cut but that doesn't bother me too much at this moment in time. I am more looking to improve my skills for the future.

I often hear people say just become a multi skilled but then people always say "just because you have done a 3 week course that doesn't make you an electrician" and this is right after all but does anyone actually take notice these days?

To be honest i would take a weekend job if that is what it takes to do an apprenticeship or learn some skills. I would also be open to night college if that is what it takes. I am a bit confused on what would be the best route and if you have any i may have over looked could you please point them out.

Thanks very much in advance and your feedback is much appreciated!

Cheers

Practice makes perfect go for it, don’t be put off. Gaining practical experience will make you an even better designer. Work within your skill level and understanding and get a mentor that you can work with occasionally. Make sure you get insurance and ideally register with one of the schemes. Good luck.

Reply to Moving from design into domestic install in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net