Discuss Multi way switching using only 1 way switches? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi
My bungalow hall lights can be turned on and off from 4 different switches.
I was expecting these switches to be a mix of 3 way and intermediate switches, but all 4 of them are just 1 way switches.

I now have a problem that my hall lights are permanently turned on, and none of the switches can turn them off.

I have disconnected all 4 switches thinking that 1 of the switches had developed a fault, but even with all 4 disconnected, the light remains on. I assume there must be a short circuit somewhere in the building.

How can I have multi way switching using only 1 way switches?
Any advice on how to find the short circuit?

Thanks for your help.

How are you at fault finding with electrics?
First thing I would do is isolate the circuit for the lights.
If the light has only stayed on since you took the switches off then that will narrow down the fault. Check the switch wires.

I would love to see how the four 1 way switches were wired for the hall light.

The only reason I looked at the switches was because the light stayed on. I was expecting to have to replace a switch, and wanted to identify which one had gone faulty, and whether I needed to buy a 3 way or intermediate.
All 4 are intermediate, but only wired with 2 wires so effectively 1 way switches. I can post a photo in a bit, but I don't think it will be very exciting I'm afraid.
I assume there must be some complicated wiring in the loft somewhere to allow these 4 one-ways to all control the same lights like a multi-way. Presumably the short is going to be there as well.
Problem is our loft is a nightmare. Roof pitch is only about 30 degrees, so can't even sit up at the highest point (bungalow is T shaped so very difficult to access all of loft, especially the area behind the water tank) so keen to understand what I might be looking for before embarking on a major search under difficult to reach loft insulation.

There are 2 ceiling light points in the hall, each with 3 standard bulbs (not LED). They remain on full brightness at all times.
The 4 switches are the type with press on them that always sit in the same position, so don't have an off position.

So, just so that my poor small brain can understand:
The hall light used to work, with switching any of the 4 switches?
You didn't have to operate the same switch twice for the light to turn on/off? (long shot... with only being 2 wires per switch someone may have wired up a toggle relay (T flip-flop) in the loft for the hall light and using the switches as pushbuttons)

The hall lighting control is using an impulse relay in the loft controlled by the four one way/single pole push for on switches. Every time the push is pressed it creates an impulse ie off -on-off which an impulse relay in the loft uses t0 'toggle' between on and off or off and on. The impulse relay then controls the two hall lamps.

Call an electrician in to fix it.

I have uploaded photos.
3 of the 4 switches are single gang as shown in first 2 photos.
4th switch at entrance to house is 2 gang (photos 3 and 4). The second gang is for an outside porch light which is operating correctly and is unrelated to this problem.

Spoon, you are correct, you didn't have to operate the same switch twice for the light to turn on/off.

The impulse/latching relay explanation makes perfect sense and I will investigate in the loft to see if I can find one.

Thanks for all your help.

Multi way switching using only 1 way switches? IMG_0213.JPG - EletriciansForums.net Multi way switching using only 1 way switches? IMG_0218.JPG - EletriciansForums.net Multi way switching using only 1 way switches? IMG_0219.JPG - EletriciansForums.net Multi way switching using only 1 way switches? IMG_0221.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

Looks like the control side is ELV. It could be an electronic control, in which case most likely its output device (SSR, triac) is shorted.

Spoon, you are correct, you didn't have to operate the same switch twice for the light to turn on/off.

The impulse/latching relay explanation makes perfect sense and I will investigate in the loft to see if I can find one

I totally forgot about you could get spring return light switches. (ok may not be the technical name)

I didn't think they they used toggle relays for lighting in houses.. Glad my "long shot" was correct. Every day a learning day.

Much more popular in Europe. E.g. search for 'télérupteur d'éclairage'

Yes. Momentary switches. Did you not wonder why they are marked ‘break’ and ‘make ‘????:rolleyes:

If you have disconnected all the switches and the light is still on, then your problem is with the central logic box. Whatever and wherever that might be b

Reply to Multi way switching using only 1 way switches? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock