Discuss My own rewire cu advice in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Hi mate
dont know if its subsidised we just asked for a isolator but british gas said they were updating the meter as it wasnt theres, Unitied utilities prefer to fit there own they thought my bruv had a economy 7 board as well and was going to fit a 4 pole isolator until i told the guy who came out it only needed a double pole isolator as there wasnt economy 7,i thought he was thinking it was 3 phase
the price is £39 wether its just the isolator or tails ,meter and isolator a set charge for all
I asked the guy about if you cut the seals would he report ya he said no, I said they should just fit them to all as standard then ccu can be upgraded without risking pulling fuse yourself and for safety reasons its better and more practicable
I told him most who i have asked just said pull it as Electricity at work regs say you shouldnt work live unless in all circumstances its unreasonable to work dead

the only difference between us pulling fuse and meter men is that they spend a day pulling fuse at training centre with gloves and goggles on and learning how to check polarity at service head.

Hi mate
thats a pain eh mate thought they would just fit ya a isolator, well i waited for them all day at my brothers, should have come between 8am and 12 they still hadnt arrived. I ended up ringing them again british gas use Unitied Utilities, because the meter was not theres they decided they would fit a new meter at the same time but didnt tell me that instead of it being a morning job they changed it to a job for all day he finally arrived at 4pm but they have changed meter tails, wylex REC2S Isolator all for £39 so laughin as the isolator is about a tenner and the labour time so fair i think

as for the CCu mate can you not get one with no rcd and fit all 16AMP RCBOs for the heaters still protected and all independent but will cost ya more

I thought they would too but not to be! Sounds like you had a result for £39 spondoolies.

Was thinking as it was my own install of fitting rcbo's on both curcuits but will probably use two 10 Way Hi Integrity Dual 80A RCD + 100A Main Switch boards for cost reasons.
Also your last post reminded me that i have two meters so a double pole isolator will be no good as i will have two sets of tails from two meters.

hi mate
so you will have to a 4 pole isolator eh mate are they pulling the fuse whilst you fit one
my bruvs has a old wylex fuseboard and a volex single rcd split load lights in extension not protected looked about for rcbos about £30+ so it will be cheaper to change board and put dual rcd split load but i will ask me bruv as he is on holidays at moment, he is loaded so will prob not be bothered. the guy who did it was rough cables just drilled through the wall no protection cables coming from all angles holes left in top of db where cables enter do either going to have to fit trunking or fill the holes some how if we keep this board .so i now have to sort it out lucky me eh mate as
anyone clue me up how i can fill the holes so it meets the ip rating is it ok to use Intrumescent mastic or trunking above
I would prefer them all in the wall and entering from the rear of the board but we will see

Last edited:
trunking will be fine
Cheers flukey
while i was waiting for supplier yesterday I decided to try and trace what all the circuits are doing
I am going to have test a few things out all the lights in the original part of the house are on one circuit and some of the cables are singles for example the landing light only has a line and neutral but the switch has only got red and black both lines and a single line also so there as to be some sort of jb but our kid has had it boarded cheers kid for making it harder for me
Before i transfer old circuits to new i am going to check N-E and may link line and neutral and check between this and earth as i am thinking through reading related posts ther could be pinched neutrals and the like
I cant lift floorboards and the like
I am thinking i should do a full pir first wot you reckon
he also wants Garden lights and security lights as the one there now is over the conservatory cheers mate

Last edited:
i will show you a pic of the existing its where the existing ccu is on the back board there is abot a inch or so gap between board and wall have a look and all ideas welcome

Attachments

• DSC01190.jpg
    206.1 KB · Views: 18
  • DSC01184.jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 14
:eek:these are also some of the other items i will av to sort

Attachments

• DSC01182.jpg
    195.3 KB · Views: 17
  • DSC01185.jpg
    186.8 KB · Views: 16
  • DSC01187.jpg
    199.6 KB · Views: 18
  • DSC01281.jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 17

Reply to My own rewire cu advice in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net