Discuss My own rewire cu advice in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Thought I'd logged onto screwfix for a minute then lol. There are alot of incompetant scam members out there as are there alot of competant non scam members out there. Peace

Come on peeps, lets leave our ego's on site.

If anyone feels a post is offensive toward them then please just hit the report post button and let US deal with it.

As someone commented any potential new posters will be scared off by slanging matches in threads and this is something WE dont want and WILL NOT let happen.

This forum will not be dragged down into another one of THOSE types of forum.

There endeth the lesson, peace and love gents, peace and love.:D:D

Come on peeps, lets leave our ego's on site.

If anyone feels a post is offensive toward them then please just hit the report post button and let US deal with it.

As someone commented any potential new posters will be scared off by slanging matches in threads and this is something WE dont want and WILL NOT let happen.

This forum will not be dragged down into another one of THOSE types of forum.

There endeth the lesson, peace and love gents, peace and love.:D:D
true lenny, but it works both ways.
long term forum members that offer opinions only to have sarcastic remarks thrown back will stop offering their opinions :eek:

My this is one serious thread

I have just one thing to say and that is," I have nothing to say"

A bit of --- for tat banter dont do no harm ;)
Just watch out for that swinging right uppercut lads

true lenny, but it works both ways.
long term forum members that offer opinions only to have sarcastic remarks thrown back will stop offering their opinions :eek:

Your opinion/advice would be welcome - but if you feel a op has asked a very very basic question which you can't or don't want to help constructively with please KEEP QUIET.

Banter is good useful advice is better:)

Hopefully one day i will be a long term forum member and hopefully i wont become bitter and will help other forum users:p

Your opinion/advice would be welcome - but if you feel a op has asked a very very basic question which you can't or don't want to help constructively with please KEEP QUIET.

Banter is good useful advice is better:)

Hopefully one day i will be a long term forum member and hopefully i wont become bitter and will help other forum users:p
try explaining that you are an electrician even though you are asking very, very basic questions instead of slagging off my website and quals and you may receive more help :confused:

someone that asks such basic questions will always receive the same advice from me, if your not sure get someone in that is and you are quite clearly not sure by your own admission :p

providing you surface mount the cables or run in steel conduit, swa then no you wont need a rcd.
any CABLES buried less than 50mm will require rcd protection. 522.6.7

isolator will cost upto £60 and can take anywhere from 2-6 weeks to be installed by dno

fit two c/u one for property other for storage heaters, storage heaters fed from 5th terminal from meter and common neutral, may find water heating ran from storage c/u too and heated at cheap rates with a timer from main c/u to heat during day.

Quick update - going to use a Hi Integrity Dual 80A RCD + 100A Main Switch Consumer Unit for the main bungalow supplies and then a second CU fed by the off peak meter to take the radials for the storage heaters but given this will be for 6x 16amps supplies that's a lot of amps,

Any ideas on choice of CU?

With regard to the isolator i thought i would replace this at the same time the dno sorted out an upgrade to the supply earthing arrangements ie: BS 951 clamp - But guess what they said:eek:

Flukey be gentle

what mate did they say
I am getting a main isolator fitted at my bruvs tomorrow so i can replace existing two boards with one as its a complete mess and wish to use this for registration and assessment with elecsa. I am interested mate in how you go on so let us know cheers

what mate did they say
I am getting a main isolator fitted at my bruvs tomorrow so i can replace existing two boards with one as its a complete mess and wish to use this for registration and assessment with elecsa. I am interested mate in how you go on so let us know cheers

With regard to the Isolator they said they would provide a guy from the dno who would cut the seal and return later in the day to re-seal.

As for the BS951 clamp they said any spark can change it when they want? - this im not convinced about and told them as it's there supply it's there responsibility.

They are now thinking about it and deciding what to do:confused:

With regard to the Isolator they said they would provide a guy from the dno who would cut the seal and return later in the day to re-seal.

As for the BS951 clamp they said any spark can change it when they want? - this im not convinced about and told them as it's there supply it's there responsibility.

They are now thinking about it and deciding what to do:confused:
hi mate
why will they not fit a isolator for ya and are they leaving it for you to pull the fuse?, ive got them to fit one at my bruvs house for £39 so then I can work at convenience to our kid. Then in future if CCu requires replacing again it will be easier

RE: the earthing arrangement, you can only ask them to provide a TNS earth terminal or upgrade to PME, they are not obliged to do either of these, in which case you will have to provide a TT earth.

RE: the isolator, this is normally fitted by the energy supplier (not the DNO), usually at a cost. They will either fit a Wylex REC2S, or an isolator meter with a turn-screw. If they are only willing to carry out a temporary de-energisation then fit a REC2S yourself, that way they can disconnect and reconnect all in one go.

Quick update - going to use a Hi Integrity Dual 80A RCD + 100A Main Switch Consumer Unit for the main bungalow supplies and then a second CU fed by the off peak meter to take the radials for the storage heaters but given this will be for 6x 16amps supplies that's a lot of amps,

Any ideas on choice of CU?

With regard to the isolator i thought i would replace this at the same time the dno sorted out an upgrade to the supply earthing arrangements ie: BS 951 clamp - But guess what they said:eek:

Flukey be gentle
ive been far too gentle already ;)

good luck with it, read one of my previous posts my dno installed a 951 clamp on a job of mine :eek:

hi mate
why will they not fit a isolator for ya and are they leaving it for you to pull the fuse?, ive got them to fit one at my bruvs house for £39 so then I can work at convenience to our kid. Then in future if CCu requires replacing again it will be easier

No it would appear not - they will only de-energise and re-energise and charge me 55 quid the Isolator i will have to replace myself:(

RE: the earthing arrangement, you can only ask them to provide a TNS earth terminal or upgrade to PME, they are not obliged to do either of these, in which case you will have to provide a TT earth.

RE: the isolator, this is normally fitted by the energy supplier (not the DNO), usually at a cost. They will either fit a Wylex REC2S, or an isolator meter with a turn-screw. If they are only willing to carry out a temporary de-energisation then fit a REC2S yourself, that way they can disconnect and reconnect all in one go.

They wont fit isolator(see previous post) and after a bit of a long conversation as i didn't want to provide a TT earth they agreed that the BS clamp was unsuitable and would upgrade me asap.:)

Anyone got ideas for a board for the 6x16amp radials?

Getting there slowly and all advice much appreciated.

Hi mate
thats a pain eh mate thought they would just fit ya a isolator, well i waited for them all day at my brothers, should have come between 8am and 12 they still hadnt arrived. I ended up ringing them again british gas use Unitied Utilities, because the meter was not theres they decided they would fit a new meter at the same time but didnt tell me that instead of it being a morning job they changed it to a job for all day he finally arrived at 4pm but they have changed meter tails, wylex REC2S Isolator all for £39 so laughin as the isolator is about a tenner and the labour time so fair i think

as for the CCu mate can you not get one with no rcd and fit all 16AMP RCBOs for the heaters still protected and all independent but will cost ya more

Last edited:

Reply to My own rewire cu advice in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net