Discuss Wanting some quoting advice / am I about right/or too high-low in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Need help with a quote here. I’m wanting some sound advice.

Was called out to the hot water not working so repaired the issue within the panel (micro switch had failed)

Whilst I was there the guy asked me to price up a board change and to have all of this tidied up/put into one box, the hot water he wants on a timer switch so I’m going for a contactor in the new consumer unit and a boost switch (15/30/1/2). I’m Going in with an 18 way Hager unit plus RCBO’s with spd plus blanks and New meter tails. Henley blocks, earthing terminals and just a general tidy up of everything.

The economy 7 radio switch is pretty much defunct but still needs to be kept in amongst it all.

There is a proven 10mm to the water and there is no gas to the building.

I have already completed a global Megger with line and neutral connected together so am pretty comfortable that I’m not going to have too many issues. Cables are all going to be long enough.

Materials I’m at (+20%) around 450 and I was thinking 300 on top of this job done tested and out. I’m expecting it to be a long days work.

I’m based in Cumbria, so advice and guidance from anyone from further north would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Attachments

• 66d43211-a14e-4d78-81bd-bf2a55c3ed02.jpeg
    102.8 KB · Views: 48
Labour doesn't seem expensive and I'm in NI where prices would be below average GB rate.

Would you not offer better control of hot water, rather than a simple boost switch? Sangamo offer 20A immersion timers with good boost options , which saves some space in DB.

I used to live in Carlisle and think that's a very good deal for the customer.
In my opinion that isn't a simple board change and would bear being priced a bit higher for the PITA factor.

Obviously Hager is great quality but on an average domestic job I'd consider using a middle-ground board like Fusebox / Verso with their nice compact switched neutral RCBOs (which Hager doesn't offer ) and then with a slightly higher mark up that's a bit more profit for you too.

That would be a fairly good price for here (gloucestershire).
I would be about £100 - £150 more.
However, I would be fitting a 'fusebox' brand, so would perhaps be a similar price to you as my materials would be around £100 - £150 less.

Just to say the radio teleswitch will cease doing its job in 24 weeks time. Client would be better off having the meter updated to integrated dual tariff (doesn't HAVE to be smart, but that's a decision for them) before you start, or you'll be going back end next March (unless they extend the life of the transmissions, which I think unlikely this time).

Hager RCBO’s have come down massively in price the last few months. Now should be similar to Fusebox mini ones. Some unscrupulous wholesalers are not passing this reduction on though. Make sure you shop around if not.

I'd quote at least £150 more plus another £50 for materials even then I'm not sure it's high enough. I envisage you'll be driving to & from that to a wholesaler.

You can always refund money to a customer but very difficult to ask for more. The job looking at it looks a bit fiddly.

I would definitely contact the DNO first and get the fuse pulled and have an isolator fitted pre-installation

Reply to Wanting some quoting advice / am I about right/or too high-low in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net