Discuss Advice for a possible job change? in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

T50GSW

-
Reaction score
Hi all,

Apologies if this is in the wrong place. I was wondering if anyone had any advice for me in regards to where to begin my search for a new job.

I’m currently a commercial/industrial electrician and have been with my current place for just over a year. I moved there from a domestic electrical firm with the intention of using the job as a base to learn and develop from.

While the other guys I work with are decent people, I’m not happy where I am. I’m not really getting the chance to learn much from the other guys, I’m normally sent off on my own to the jobs no one else wants to do, most of the time I’m given standard light replacements to sort out. The majority of the places I get sent are filthy and awkward to work in so the work is a real grind, nothing that is impossible to overcome but it all just adds up to the job not being what I hoped it would be, plus I have a young family to provide for so I’m looking at a change this year.

I have done some work in factories and from speaking to people on site and seeing the way they have their stations all set up and ready to go for the various jobs they do, it led me down the road of thinking about things like wiring new build caravans, log cabins, boats or shipping container conversions etc. Basically anything that has a hardwired set up within a specific space. I like the idea of working in one place and having a set routine with everything I need around me so I can get a job done and just move onto the next one. I’m not opposed to travelling to sites as I already do that now, but I just like the idea of knowing what I will be doing having a set plan, rather than crawling round under machines or in lofts searching for issues, or replacing lights all year long.

does anyone have any advice on how to begin searching for a start in jobs such as these? are there any specific training courses relating to this kind of thing that would be necessary?

I’m not sure if there would be specific jobs for electricians to do something like this or whether it would come under the general manufacture of such products. I’ve tried searching the internet, and will continue to do so, but everything just keeps returning results for caravan/container sales or similar.

I’m in Essex and 29 years old if it’s relevant to anyone. Sorry for the long post but I appreciateanyone who takes the time to read it and has any advice.

thank

TL;DR
Advice for switching from commercial/industrial electrics to wiring caravans/shipping containers/boats etc.
Hi all,

Apologies if this is in the wrong place. I was wondering if anyone had any advice for me in regards to where to begin my search for a new job.

I’m currently a commercial/industrial electrician and have been with my current place for just over a year. I moved there from a domestic electrical firm with the intention of using the job as a base to learn and develop from.

While the other guys I work with are decent people, I’m not happy where I am. I’m not really getting the chance to learn much from the other guys, I’m normally sent off on my own to the jobs no one else wants to do, most of the time I’m given standard light replacements to sort out. The majority of the places I get sent are filthy and awkward to work in so the work is a real grind, nothing that is impossible to overcome but it all just adds up to the job not being what I hoped it would be, plus I have a young family to provide for so I’m looking at a change this year.

I have done some work in factories and from speaking to people on site and seeing the way they have their stations all set up and ready to go for the various jobs they do, it led me down the road of thinking about things like wiring new build caravans, log cabins, boats or shipping container conversions etc. Basically anything that has a hardwired set up within a specific space. I like the idea of working in one place and having a set routine with everything I need around me so I can get a job done and just move onto the next one. I’m not opposed to travelling to sites as I already do that now, but I just like the idea of knowing what I will be doing having a set plan, rather than crawling round under machines or in lofts searching for issues, or replacing lights all year long.

does anyone have any advice on how to begin searching for a start in jobs such as these? are there any specific training courses relating to this kind of thing that would be necessary?

I’m not sure if there would be specific jobs for electricians to do something like this or whether it would come under the general manufacture of such products. I’ve tried searching the internet, and will continue to do so, but everything just keeps returning results for caravan/container sales or similar.

I’m in Essex and 29 years old if it’s relevant to anyone. Sorry for the long post but I appreciateanyone who takes the time to read it and has any advice.

thank
Stick with what you have Mate 29 is no age to become disillusioned with what you have.

I’d say the opposite. The worlds your oyster, don’t rush, but look around carefully.

Your a young person, work is most of your life. You can either have a job you like, or earn loads of money, or if your lucky have both.

Stick with what you have Mate 29 is no age to become disillusioned with what you have.
I agree, apart from what I have is not what I was promised when I took the job on. There’s naff all chance of development, the jobs a bit of a dead end and I’m not paid enough, so while I’m in a position where I can’t stop working because I have a family that needs me to put food on the table, I’d rather move jobs and try to earn more money, or find a job I’d be happier in for a few years while I plan my next move
[automerge]1577899828[/automerge]
I’d say the opposite. The worlds your oyster, don’t rush, but look around carefully.

Your a young person, work is most of your life. You can either have a job you like, or earn loads of money, or if your lucky have both.
Thanks, this is why I thought I’d see if anyone had any advice or information as I can’t find much at the moment

You'll be even more disillusioned stuck in a Caravan or container with a dozen other people you hate, doing a repetative job that doesn't pay much.
They were just examples of the kind of idea that took my fancy, not necessarily what I have my heart set on.

the part of it I like the most is having the set plan of what needs doing, all the materials are there and I can just work through methodically. Where I’m at now, I get sent on jobs that have apparently been surveyed and materials sorted out, I turn up and either the materials are wrong or just not there, the jobs is completely different because it’s not been looked at and all information has just been passed over the phone.

it’s not the end of the world but I’m just fed up with how everything is run and I don’t want to spend any more time being made to look like a fool when I turn up to work because of someone else’s mistakes. Plus I’m getting no benefit from the job as I’m not really getting the opportunity to learn anything new or work with people who I can learn from, so i might as well work somewhere else where I can be happier as it’s not as though I’d be losing the learning curve

Why is 29 not old enough then Lads? you know summat I don't? @ 29 you haven't given life a chance. I want it all and I want it now with no effort on your part springs to mind.
[automerge]1577904921[/automerge]
They were just examples of the kind of idea that took my fancy, not necessarily what I have my heart set on.

the part of it I like the most is having the set plan of what needs doing, all the materials are there and I can just work through methodically. Where I’m at now, I get sent on jobs that have apparently been surveyed and materials sorted out, I turn up and either the materials are wrong or just not there, the jobs is completely different because it’s not been looked at and all information has just been passed over the phone.

it’s not the end of the world but I’m just fed up with how everything is run and I don’t want to spend any more time being made to look like a fool when I turn up to work because of someone else’s mistakes. Plus I’m getting no benefit from the job as I’m not really getting the opportunity to learn anything new or work with people who I can learn from, so i might as well work somewhere else where I can be happier as it’s not as though I’d be losing the learning curve
" Life is like a box of Choclates Mate"

Why is 29 not old enough then Lads? you know summat I don't? @ 29 you haven't given life a chance. I want it all and I want it now with no effort on your part springs to mind.
I’ve made loads of decisions throughout my life, some good and some bad. Age, in my case, doesn’t have a bearing on things, other than I wish I was 29 again.

Who is giving things 'no effort'? Is that intended for the OP?

Who is giving things 'no effort'? Is that intended for the OP?
No Mate the two people who gave me a disagree, nothing personal at all. Strikes me that most want to change careers and all is hunky dory from the outset, no effort to make things work from their perspective.

I’ve made loads of decisions throughout my life, some good and some bad. Age, in my case, doesn’t have a bearing on things, other than I wish I was 29 again.
Seems the truth is hurtful to some then

Sorry are you suggesting I’m not willing to work hard and try to improve myself? Apologies if that’s not what you’re saying but that’s how it appears to me

Not at all Mate,
Fair enough. As I said, my apologies. I didn’t want my post to sound like I’m just moaning about where I work and wanting everything for nothing, I’m willing to put the work in to get further, my current position just isn’t what I was led to believe it would be

Fair enough. As I said, my apologies. I didn’t want my post to sound like I’m just moaning about where I work and wanting everything for nothing, I’m willing to put the work in to get further, my current position just isn’t what I was led to believe it would be
Well if you aint happy with your lot, then as soon as something that takes your fancy comes along, take the jump, don't want to go on about my life, but I have had jobs that I didn't like but out of necessity, I had to stick at it until my chance of the ideal job came along, it's not going to be all Roses, what looks like a good job may be a right Bummer, getting there as you describe it doesn't come along easily, I guess you have to think what and how far you want to proceed in the position you have, if you want to move into supervision then go for it, if your ideal job is wielding a screwdriver for the rest of your natural then you can't complain can you?.
You are always going to get guys and Gals who think they are the Dog's do dahs and think I should be in charge, what else can I say it just annoys me when , the I want it all brigade start mumbling, guess I'm in for some grief, but I'm a big boy now.

From 21-29 yrs i changed job 4 times, usually for more money but also for better prospects, quite frankly the time to do it is early as possible because it does get harder to change as you get older.
Good Luck and Happy new year

The grass is often greener , but the manure heap near by -- Really gets up you nose -Come summer !
(Situations vary - may be testing your stickability before they invest in you )

Offer yourself to do more work then. Replacing light fittings all day is going to be boring. You state you are mobile. Are you on a call out rota?? Prove you are good at breakdown work (if you are, or get good at it if you are not), that is far more interesting. I know you have a domestic background so if you're not really pushed, use your time on site now better to really see how it goes together. Commercial is more lucrative than domestic long term and is much more varied. If it is still not good down the line then move once you have some more experience under your belt mate.

Reply to Advice for a possible job change? in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net