Discuss My own rewire cu advice in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Hi,

Regarding the isolator does anyone know price/time as would like to get the tails changed (modern colours and all that) but obviously these come from sealed meter.

Thanks for any help

As the meter is the property of the DNO and is sealed they will have to fit the new coloured tails and isolator (missing main fuse seals is one thing, missing meter seals is a no,no!).

Cables buried less than 50mm need RCD protection, no doubt those spurs come within that category, if not protected by RCD and when a bit of diy drilling happens as in all new occupied homes there could be disastrous results.

I cant believe i am reading this, especially after recent threads.

IF anyone wishes to help the OP then please do, otherwise move on
i cant believe you have said that :confused:

i offered my opinion and he came back with insults :eek:

some people dont deserve help and this post highlights this as th op asks a question and then thinks he is better qualified than anyone else to answer it :rolleyes:

i cant believe you have said that :confused:

i offered my opinion and he came back with insults :eek:

some people dont deserve help and this post highlights this as th op asks a question and then thinks he is better qualified than anyone else to answer it :rolleyes:

Flukey - please get your facts straight i asked for advice and rather than try to be helpfull your contribution was less than, "get yourself a electrician" if you nhave nothing constructive to say KEEP STUM;)

We are looking for advice not sarcasm

providing you surface mount the cables or run in steel conduit, swa then no you wont need a rcd.
any CABLES buried less than 50mm will require rcd protection. 522.6.7

isolator will cost upto £60 and can take anywhere from 2-6 weeks to be installed by dno

fit two c/u one for property other for storage heaters, storage heaters fed from 5th terminal from meter and common neutral, may find water heating ran from storage c/u too and heated at cheap rates with a timer from main c/u to heat during day.

Thanks - the cables run underneath a bungalow on stilts and the cables are deeper than 50mm. i guess the question i was asking is would these radial be exempt given that reg411.3.3 (b)???

Isolator i will change and have to live with the fact the tails will be red and black from the meter.

And yes you are correct water heater will be fed this way.

Good info so thanyou

As the meter is the property of the DNO and is sealed they will have to fit the new coloured tails and isolator (missing main fuse seals is one thing, missing meter seals is a no,no!).

Cables buried less than 50mm need RCD protection, no doubt those spurs come within that category, if not protected by RCD and when a bit of diy drilling happens as in all new occupied homes there could be disastrous results.

Thanks Mark i would never remove seals from Meters hene the question about dno replacing the isolator. I was only looking at getting dno to it as i dont like having different coloured tails into and out of isolator.

And thanks for the drilling advice (mp's daughter springs to mind)

as for connecting the swa what i normally use is a small 100x100 adaptable box (the ones you drill out yourself) and mount it next to or below the CU and gland it into that, then have the tails long enough to go through the box and into your terminals of the CU.

Flukey - please get your facts straight i asked for advice and rather than try to be helpfull your contribution was less than, "get yourself a electrician" if you nhave nothing constructive to say KEEP STUM;)

We are looking for advice not sarcasm
from your questions i wouldnt have said you are an electrician, thats why i suggested you employ one, not sure how thats sarcastic as its my honest opinion :confused:

from the nature of your questions and the simplicity of the answers i am surprised you are asking at all :eek:

Last edited:
No alteration or addition shall be made to an installation unless the earthing and bonding arrangements are satisfactory. Therefore it is your problem.

from your questions i wouldnt have said you are an electrician, thats why i suggested you employ one, not sure how thats sarcastic as its my honest opinion :confused:

from the nature of your questions and the simplicity of the answers i am surprised you are asking at all :eek:

Go away:D

I agree with Flukey, lots of qualified 'electricians' recently asking some basic questions, however I do not feel this should turn into insult trading.

I agree with Flukey, lots of qualified 'electricians' recently asking some basic questions, however I do not feel this should turn into insult trading.

Your right but not all questions can be about quantum physics or sinewave constitution:confused:

Sorry sometimes it's just banding about ideas even if they are basic.

After all you never know even basic stuff can sometimes throw up things that you didn't know - it's how we all learn.:)

Anyone new to the industry reading this thread im sure will avoid asking questions.

Remember theres never a stupid question only stupid answers;)

albeit 50mm not being 5cm?

Last edited by a moderator:
Am I missing something here because surely peterb2428 can replace that incoming RCD with this Wylex 100A DP Supply Isolator . No need to get the DNO involved.

On another note, I asked a guy who was replacing analogue meters for digital ones if he would report me for cutting the main switch or meter and he said providing he could see there was work been done, ie replacement tails, new ccu he'd re-tag them and not report it.

Reply to My own rewire cu advice in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net