NAPIT Certification Scheme NAPIT 18th Edition A2 books requirement ?

Discuss NAPIT 18th Edition A2 books requirement ? in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I've just had a call from NAPIT saying if I don't have the 18th Edition A2 book, I will fail my next assessment. I passed my 18th edition exam and have the BBB.

Is this a hard sell, never had this with 17th Edition amendments, or 18th Edition A1. But they also never had new books like 18th Edition A2. Thoughts?

i think it's probably a hard sell on their behalf to be fair. i had them on the phone the other week trying sell me a ticket to the local expo that they're doing and they mentioned books then.

i just said, i've seen them online and i'll purchase when i'm ready, there was no mention of failing assessments if i didn't have them though, and nothing was mentioned on my last assessment a couple of months ago.

Pretty sure you will need proof you either have it electronically or a hard copy.

Electricians are expected to work to the current edition of the wiring regulations. From March 28 2022, this will be BS7671:2018:Amd 2.

If you don't have a copy, how can you work to it?

Electricians are expected to work to the current edition of the wiring regulations. From March 28 2022, this will be BS7671:2018:Amd 2.

If you don't have a copy, how can you work to it?
Print outs, same Amd 1. Yes I need to know it, but I don't need a hole new book. It's just another money maker.......

But I have caved in a bought the new books anyway.

The difference will be that the previous AMD 1 was basically error corrections and the one chapter that didn't affect most people, so even they had some qualms about charging for it!

This time they need to top up the committee's holiday fund, so full book it is!

However, I presume like before that there will be some overlap with the existing regs, such that the new bits won't be mandatory for a year or so? In which case not sure what the actual requirement will be to have it before that date, if you can still officially work to the current book?

But we'll all have to buy it at some point regardless if we want to keep registered for the 'full benefits' that membership of a Part P scheme endows on us chosen few.

(parts of this post contain excessive sarcasm)

Just discovered that, divided into 4 parts, the Draft for Public Comment (DPC) of Amendment 2 is still up on the BSI website.
The closing date for comments is 25th March, at which point I guess it will dissappear!

DPC's are downloadable pdf's for people to comment on (obs).
If one 'registers' on the Bsi "standards development" part of the website, then the drafts can be downloaded.
There's a lot to digest!
I can see why they've decided to re-publish the whole book, rather than publish a separate amendment document..

I'm not suggesting for a moment this is a route to obtaining the official documentation you need to do your job, (if only because the final published documents will contain changes) but it is a way of appreciating the nature of the updates! 🥱

PS: Maybe this info has already been disseminated, in which case I apologise for the duplication!

Last edited:
There is a 6 month grace period for the old book.
Just checked the DPC, and assuming that hasn't changed:

Amendment 2:2022 to BS 7671:2018 Requirements for Electrical Installations was issued on 28th March 2022 and may be implemented immediately. Electrical installations, the erection of which is commenced after 28th March 2023, are to comply with BS 7671:2018 incorporating Amendment 2:2022

So looks like we might have a year for manufacturers to get their act together and provide decent AFDD options at a sensible price.

I suspect there will be a lot of new builds, refurbs, etc, which "commenced" before 28/03/23 for several years yet...

Reply to NAPIT 18th Edition A2 books requirement ? in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock