Discuss Need help identifying parts on a DC motor in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all I have a small DC motor that I pulled off from an ABS car module and need help identifying some parts in order to hopefully rebuild it.

1. Why does this motor have 3 carbon brushes instead two?
2. Why is there a large spring on the base?
3. Will replacing the carbon brushes with amazon quality ones make any difference?

Long story short, I pulled this DC motor off of my car to clean out the carbon dust to get it working again. I took apart one of the carbon brushes and put in a new one with one from amazon that I just super glued on. This caused the DC motor to burn on the prone end. Now I'm looking to see if this thing is rebuildable but I haven't a clue where to start.

https://i.Upload the image directly to the thread.com/VFgr7UF.jpg

I can't help you with your question, but glueing a carbon brush with superglue, which will largely insulate the parts that you've glued from each other, doesn't seem a good idea!

Even less of a good idea if the carbon brush in question is part of a safety critical component on a car.
3 brush motors are usually two speed motors. Windscreen wiper motors are a common example.

I can't help you with your question, but glueing a carbon brush with superglue, which will largely insulate the parts that you've glued from each other, doesn't seem a good idea!
I found that out the hard way. The motor toasted and blew a 30amp fuse. But that is why I'm trying to rebuild it properly now. I don't think its rebuildable, but at least I can learn what the parts are.

Even less of a good idea if the carbon brush in question is part of a safety critical component on a car.
3 brush motors are usually two speed motors. Windscreen wiper motors are a common example.
I wouldn't say the ABS is a critical safety component because its rarely used. But my vehicle is a hybrid and it utiliizes the ABS system at all times, which makes repairs even more difficult since it takes the entire car off service.

I think most of us would consider a component that contains electrically operated valves that can cut off the operation of individual wheel brakes and contains a pump that can apply the brakes to individual wheels to be safety critical.
Of course, it has been designed so that rogue operation of this kind is a 'never' event, but that assumes it hasn't been interfered with and modified by persons without the skills to do so safely.

I think most of us would consider a component that contains electrically operated valves that can cut off the operation of individual wheel brakes and contains a pump that can apply the brakes to individual wheels to be safety critical.
Of course, it has been designed so that rogue operation of this kind is a 'never' event, but that assumes it hasn't been interfered with and modified by persons without the skills to do so safely.
The braking system is important which is why I'm looking to fix it. Given the constraints, it doesn't have to be perfect, just work well enough until a proper fix is in order. But more importantly is that I want to understand the system better.

The braking system is important
That's something of an understatement.
which is why I'm looking to fix it. Given the constraints, it doesn't have to be perfect, just work well enough until a proper fix is in order. But more importantly is that I want to understand the system better.

There are better ways of learing how things works than tinkering with safety critical components, which may result in an all too brief understanding of their failure. More important again is the consideration of other road users who probably don't want to die in order to aid your learning.

That's something of an understatement.

There are better ways of learing how things works than tinkering with safety critical components, which may result in an all too brief understanding of their failure. More important again is the consideration of other road users who probably don't want to die in order to aid your learning.
I get your concerns. But its different issue.

Thank you for providing additional context regarding the components in question, particularly in the context of a car's safety-critical component. Carbon brushes, especially in three-brush motors like those used in windscreen wiper motors, are indeed crucial for proper functioning.

Given the safety-critical nature of these components, it's imperative to ensure that any replacements are not only compatible but meet the required specifications and safety standards. In the case of carbon brushes for windscreen wiper motors, factors like size, shape, material, and electrical properties are essential to ensure proper performance and safety.

If the original component is labeled as "X4HV 31" and you're considering a replacement labeled as "X4LA 23," it's essential to obtain detailed specifications for both components. Ideally, you should consult the vehicle's manual or contact the vehicle manufacturer to obtain precise information about the required carbon brush specifications.

Here are the steps you should take:

1. Check the Vehicle Manual or Contact the Manufacturer: Obtain the specific carbon brush specifications (including part numbers or compatible replacements) for the windscreen wiper motor in your vehicle from the vehicle's manual or by reaching out to the manufacturer.
  2. Compare Specifications: Compare the specifications of the original component (X4HV 31) and the potential replacement (X4LA 23) to ensure they match in terms of size, shape, material, electrical properties, and any other critical specifications.
  3. Consult a Professional: If needed, consult a professional automotive electrician or an expert in car electrical systems to ensure the replacement component is suitable and safe for your vehicle.
Given the safety-critical nature of the component in question, it's essential to prioritize safety and accuracy in selecting the appropriate replacement.

Thank you for providing additional context regarding the components in question, particularly in the context of a car's safety-critical component. Carbon brushes, especially in three-brush motors like those used in windscreen wiper motors, are indeed crucial for proper functioning.

Given the safety-critical nature of these components, it's imperative to ensure that any replacements are not only compatible but meet the required specifications and safety standards. In the case of carbon brushes for windscreen wiper motors, factors like size, shape, material, and electrical properties are essential to ensure proper performance and safety.

If the original component is labeled as "X4HV 31" and you're considering a replacement labeled as "X4LA 23," it's essential to obtain detailed specifications for both components. Ideally, you should consult the vehicle's manual or contact the vehicle manufacturer to obtain precise information about the required carbon brush specifications.

Here are the steps you should take:

1. Check the Vehicle Manual or Contact the Manufacturer: Obtain the specific carbon brush specifications (including part numbers or compatible replacements) for the windscreen wiper motor in your vehicle from the vehicle's manual or by reaching out to the manufacturer.
  2. Compare Specifications: Compare the specifications of the original component (X4HV 31) and the potential replacement (X4LA 23) to ensure they match in terms of size, shape, material, electrical properties, and any other critical specifications.
  3. Consult a Professional: If needed, consult a professional automotive electrician or an expert in car electrical systems to ensure the replacement component is suitable and safe for your vehicle.
Given the safety-critical nature of the component in question, it's essential to prioritize safety and accuracy in selecting the appropriate replacement.

Is that AI generated by any chance?

Reply to Need help identifying parts on a DC motor in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net