Discuss need help removing wattage limiter on the fan in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

mspart

DIY
Reaction score
Hello All,

Working on fixing the issue with the flashing light on the fan, but having trouble understanding how to connect wires after removing the wattage limiter. I can see that grey should be connected to grey, but not sure how to connect all the other wires after I remove the wattage.
Thanks for your help.
Greg

Attachments

• need help removing wattage limiter on the fan image2 - EletriciansForums.net
    image2.jpeg
    44.3 KB · Views: 32
  • need help removing wattage limiter on the fan image0 - EletriciansForums.net
    image0.jpeg
    48.9 KB · Views: 31
that is a capacitor bank, not a wattage limiter.
it looks from the pictures, to be connected.
is the fan working correctly at multiple speeds (3 speeds by the looks of it?)

To UK colleagues, and apologies to all who know this. I was intrigued, as I thought this must be a motor capacitor (why would you remove that), but I found much on the web about 'wattage limiters' in ceiling fans in the US. They seem to be fitted with capacitors in series with the lamps hanging below the fans, the reason being regulatory, to quote a US source:

"Ceiling fan light kits with any other socket type including but not limited to candelabra screw base sockets, intermediate screw-base sockets, 2-pin halogen sockets, and bayonet sockets manufactured on or after January 1, 2009, shall not be capable of operating with lamps that total more than 190 watts and must be packaged with lamps that together total 190 watts or less. DOE indicated in a January 11, 2007, final rule that it recognizes that manufacturers may choose to follow one of several possible design pathways to ensure that the light kit is not capable of operating with lamps that total more than 190 watts".

I still don't know if the capacitor module the OP wants to remove is just connected to the bulbs, or how to bypass it, but there seem to be lots of people who have posted youtube videos explaining how to defeat the US's intent to be more environmentally friendly.

Presumably the usual reason the lamps flash is either because the wattage limiter is faulty, or the bulbs are the wrong type.

Sorry I can't answer your question mspart, but I learn something every day!

when i turn the light switch the light blinks for one sec. The fan only works on one speed.
I did an online search... this is how i concluded that this is a wattage limiter issue.

I've come full circle on this. I'm now convinced the first response from James is of course correct. That capacitor brick of 4.5uF + 6uF + 5uF is definitely for the fan motor, to change the speed with the pull cord switch. I did wonder.

Sorry folks for jumping to a wrong conclusion - how embarrassing!

Mspart - have you tried different types of bulb in the lamp holder(s) eg traditional filament or LED? Do any work without flashing?
If there is a 'wattage limiter' there, it's not that big capacitor. It may be a tiny thing tucked away somewhere, see if you can trace the wires from the bulb holders.

Very helpful, I removed the wattage limiter which looked a little different than what was shown. It had 2 white wires (a neutral and a ground) plus the red and blue wires. Now I have a light that works!
Thank you very much!

Reply to need help removing wattage limiter on the fan in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock