Discuss Need to cover wiring systems for NVQ :( in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

AB ELECTRICALS

Hi guys,

Im coming to the end of my level 3 C&G and will be taking my AM2 and regs over the summer,
Although ive heard lots of combinations to get the JIB card as I am aware this will entitle me to my JIB Domestic electrician gold card,

In order to get my NVQ I will have to cover all wiring system including mineral cable and 3 phase, but as I work in Domestic kitchen and bathroom's, (house bashing) I dont get access to these systems,
I am already registerd self employed and have started my own buissness doing minor works and boiler spurs.

There is no point starting my apprenticeship with local council as they will want me to start my course from lev 2 with PEO instead of C&G, ive called local companies including Arnold Electrical and Willmott Dixon but all want me to apply for full time jobs as a labourer to get on site,
I have my asbestos certs and my ECS card so am eligible to be on site, but finding anywhere to get this evidence is proving a nightmare,

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I know a few of you guys may have been down a similar path, I am due to start my NVQ in Sept but am worried about paying £1800 for a course I wont be able to complete as Im not on an apprenticeships the costs are just ridiculous,

Thanks in advance guys

Anton

When I did my nvq, you did not have to do all the cable types. Although all you had to was write a report on 3 jobs and you could make up anything and say you've done it. Thinking about it, the NVQ means sweet F all because apart from the AM2 there was nothing stopping you from completely fabricating the whole portfolio.

When I did my nvq, you did not have to do all the cable types. Although all you had to was write a report on 3 jobs and you could make up anything and say you've done it. Thinking about it, the NVQ means sweet F all because apart from the AM2 there was nothing stopping you from completely fabricating the whole portfolio.

I guess it means sweet F all if you do the course at a centre that would let you do that. If your assessor and employer is willing to fraudulently sign documents to limp you through a qualification then you are doing it wrong from the outset.

Surely you have to provide evidence, such as pictures of you doing the work etc? I know I did on my NVQ3.

Exactly. My NVQ file is something I am very proud of. Every single task had to be evidenced with photos and witness testimony and signature. Most of them were witnessed directly by my on site assessor who came out frequently. There was no room at all, and indeed no need, to fabricate any part of the NVQ.

Exactly. My NVQ file is something I am very proud of. Every single task had to be evidenced with photos and witness testimony and signature. Most of them were witnessed directly by my on site assessor who came out frequently. There was no room at all, and indeed no need, to fabricate any part of the NVQ.

Exactly what mine was like. Although I found it really repetitive i was proud when I got the cert through the post. If I remember correct I had to include three types of containment, three types of cable, a few different bits with access equipment, etc.

Exactly what mine was like. Although I found it really repetitive i was proud when I got the cert through the post. If I remember correct I had to include three types of containment, three types of cable, a few different bits with access equipment, etc.
that sounds about right, i would have handed mine in already but still havent sone enough faults for it lol.

everything else for it is done

I guess it means sweet F all if you do the course at a centre that would let you do that. If your assessor and employer is willing to fraudulently sign documents to limp you through a qualification then you are doing it wrong from the outset.

Just like a Electrical Trainee then?

Luckily I didn't do it through a centre then, I did my NVQ and AM2 as part of my apprenticeship. I was mearly pointing out that the NVQ portfolio was open to fraudulent activity and a longer and more in depth AM2 is needed IMO.

Luckily I didn't do it through a centre then, I did my NVQ and AM2 as part of my apprenticeship. I was mearly pointing out that the NVQ portfolio was open to fraudulent activity and a longer and more in depth AM2 is needed IMO.

A centre is just a name for the place you are studying. It could be a school, college or Electrical Trainee rip off joint.
It is a shame but you are right that the NVQ portfolio assessment system is open to abuse. To be actually abused in a fraudulent manner it does, in my opinion, require the candidate, assessor, and employer to all be in on it to some degree. Not normally something you would have to take into account in the not to distant past.

the am2 is a funny thing.

the apprentices that have been taught properly will be done in plenty of time.

the test is that easy that i believe if you fail it badly you should be banned from retaking it for at least 1-5 years.

i don't agree that people should get unlimited retakes

look at O levels,gcse's, A levels and degree's

you cant fail them then retake them the next day can you

Reply to Need to cover wiring systems for NVQ :( in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net