Discuss Nest Installation Advice to replace Honeywell CM927 / BDR91 in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi there,

i have zero electrical experience, but am looking to replace my wireless honeywell CM927 / BDR91 Control unit with the Nest 3. This is to control a Ferroli combi boiler.

I could pay a professional, but It doesn't look to complicated to fit.....but then what do i know :)

Looking at the existing wiring to the honeywell system, there are 4 wires, L & N wires plus 2 additional white wires from the boiler going into to A & B

Looking at the Nest installation manual im confused as to where these wires need to go. Am i right to assume that L > L, N > N and A > 2, B>3? which would suggest the low voltage / dry contact combi boiler system?

Your advice and assistance will be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Nest Installation Advice to replace Honeywell CM927 / BDR91 IMG_8521[1].JPG - EletriciansForums.net

Nest Installation Advice to replace Honeywell CM927 / BDR91 IMG_8522[1].JPG - EletriciansForums.net

Nest Installation Advice to replace Honeywell CM927 / BDR91 IMG_8523[1].JPG - EletriciansForums.net

Nest Installation Advice to replace Honeywell CM927 / BDR91 IMG_8524[1].JPG - EletriciansForums.net

Yes you have correctly identified which conductor goes where on the nest, however it does not necessarily mean that the control circuit is operating at low voltage, it may well be 240V controls.

Thanks @davesparks nice to see I'm on the right track, you mention control circuit and by this you mean the A B wires as I refer to them. Is that right?

Next Q. How do I know if they are 240V?

Is it worth me paying for a pro?

Cheers

why do you want to know if they are Mains voltage or not? It's still going to work the same if you connect A to 2 and B to 3.
Ok thanks @Leesparkykent & @buzzlightyear - sorry if this seems really dumb....

If i just replace the Honeywell BDR91 and wire up the nest Heatlink box as indicated on the low voltage page instructions, so:
L>L,
N>N
A Wire (from honeywell) to 2 on nest heatlink box
B wire (from honeywell) to 3 on nest heatlink box
Then in theory it should work ok?

I'm not wiring up the Nest wireless thermostat as this will be plugged in to the mains plug elsewhere via USB, only the Nest heatlink box.

Again, sorry if my questions/responses are a bit dumb, but as you can obviously tell - Electrics are not my strong point...(even though i'm sure this is basic stuff).

If electrics aren't your strong point then get someone in who knows what they're doing before you either electrocute yourself or burn your house down.

Thanks @Strima, agree with you there.

Before i ventured down the pro route i thought i'd explore the self install option first. It doesn't look that complicated, and i would of course turn off the power. I already have a wireless system installed and thought i'd check with the experts here as to whether it was as straightforward as it seemed.

Thanks @Strima, agree with you there.

Before i ventured down the pro route i thought i'd explore the self install option first. It doesn't look that complicated, and i would of course turn off the power. I already have a wireless system installed and thought i'd check with the experts here as to whether it was as straightforward as it seemed.

So did it work? I'm in the same situation

Reply to Nest Installation Advice to replace Honeywell CM927 / BDR91 in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock