Discuss Neutral wiring problem in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi on my electric shower pull chord/isolator there's two lives and only one neutral. In the loft on the contactor the neutral wire isn't connected to it. The light is staying on on the pull chord. This can't be right, I'm presuming the neutral wire should be connected at both ends from the neutral out on the pull chord and on the contactor in the loft. Any advice would be great . Thanks Andrew

The neutral isn't isolated through the pull cord then. What is the contactor for? Would also like to think the fan isn't wired directly into the circuit without a fcu 1.5 on shower circuit is not good

Thanks, the wire from the switch is wired directly to the contactor. The two wires from the fuse board run to the pull switch. The wires from the shower and fan run from the contactor. There are neutral wires from there.

It’s not sounding right.
Do wires come from the fuse board to the contactor?
Wait, is it a contactor, or an isolator?

On the isolator/ pull switch there is a live and neutral from the fuse board, there is also a neutral that isn't connected at either end plus a second live that runs to the contactor. The red light stays on in the off position. In not sure which wires goto the contactor apart from the ones I've mentioned. All three wires on the isolator are wired correctly, just no neutral. The out live wire can't go in the neutral part of the isolator can it? It must of been like it for 40 years. Thanks Andrew

I'll take some later, I spoke with a friend who's an electrician last night. Without looking he said he thinks the live wire from the isolator is just being used as a switch wire from the isolator/switch. He's coming out Friday. Does the out live wire have Togo in the out live port on the switch and not in the out neutral port? Thanks Andrew

It sounds like the contactor has been installed to switch the light and fan on whenever the shower isolator is turned on.
If the correct fuses are installed in the right places then this us OK, however from your description it sounds like there may be a live taken to the contactor directly from the shower isolator and the neutral from the lighting circuit which is a dangerous situation.

Sounds to me as if the switch has been fed from the Fuse box with a line and neutral, so that the neon will work when the switch is on.
Sounds like it’s wired to the wrong terminals if the neon is on all the time.
Only needs the line from the switch to the contactor, if the switch is fed from the same MCB as the lighting.

It may be that the switch is fed from the same MCB as the shower.
In which case the neutral that needs to be used to operate the contactor is the neutral for the shower from the same MCB.

Reply to Neutral wiring problem in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock