Discuss New bath fan install to 4 wire connection in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Installing a bath fan. Connecting original 4 wire to new 3 wire fixture. What did I do wrong? (Capped red from supply side. Connected 2 grounds from fixture to supply.) Both red and black read hot when switch is on.

Attachments

• 20201024_101213.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 16
Does the fan not function.

Did the original fan have a light on it and how many positions is the switch, one or two. Can you show the wiring at the switch. I assume the tabs on the greens say ground connection.

Did the original fan have a light on it and how many positions is the switch, one or two. Can you show the wiring at the switch. I assume the tabs on the greens say ground connection.
Original fixture was light, heater and fan (3 switches). I'll post a photo soon. Yes, both green tabs are labeled Ground.

Can't see how that cable provided three functions as it only has one neutral and two hots.

It looks like someone has used the ground as neutral so some reconnecting is required, I thought the cable didn't have enough cores for its previous purpose. Give me a bit and I will look closer.

It looks like someone has used the ground as neutral so some reconnecting is required, I thought the cable didn't have enough cores for its previous purpose. Give me a bit and I will look closer.
If it makes things any easier, I can rewire all of this to just 1 switch. It's only a fan now.

Disconnect the white from the switch and connect it to the other white (The ground currently connected to this white reconnect to the other ground) then see what happens.

No worries mate glad it is sorted.

Reply to New bath fan install to 4 wire connection in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net