Discuss New build bungalow project in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
A friend of mine is currently building a 2 bedroom bungalow and wants me to wire the house up. I've never been involved in a new build before especially a bungalow. I understand part p needs to be taken into account.

I have attached the plans to give a better Idea

There will be two bedrooms, wet room and kitchen/living area. The circuits I am thinking of installing is
1 x alarm circuit 6 amp 1mm cable
1 x lighting circuit (or would you recommend two???) 6 amp 1mm cable
1 x house ring main (bedroom hall living area) 32amp 2.5mm cable
1 x kitchen ring main 32 amp 2.5mm cable
1 x hob/oven circuit (unsure of ratings yet)
1 x boiler radial circuit 16amp 2.5mm cable

Probably go for an 8 way board.
Another question I have is obviously depending on the rating of the oven would this just be integrated into the kitchen ring main and have the hob on it's own radial circuit or would you have both oven and hob on one radial circuit if ratings workout sufficient.

Once the work is complete I will get someone to test and certify the work I will be merely carrying out the first fix running cables and fitting back boxes etc

Screenshot_20190925-173450_WhatsApp.jpg

Does it relate to this?

I'm a qualified industrial maintenance electrician. And I have to admit I am not qualified in domestic installation however I do have a good understanding of domestic circuits etc. I will only be carrying out the first fix for my friend to help with cost etc
[automerge]1569430105[/automerge]
Yes

Does it relate to this?

You haven't included Part 6 detection. Whilst it is a small dwelling and your cable sizes are probably fine you need to prove this by way of calculation taking into consideration installation methods.

if it is new build, and you have qualifications, including 17th or 18th, and can test and provide an EIC, LABC will most likely accept you as competent, with you providing them with a copy cert.

If memory serves I think I read it’s recommended to run your alarms off your lighting circuit instead of on its own breaker... or was that just smoke alarms I’m thinking of?
smoke alarms. i prefer them on a lighting circuit as if the idiot customer switches them off, they'll fall down the stairs in the dark and realise how stupid they are .

The alarm circuit is classed as a power circuit therefore needs to be 1.5mm minimum to comply with table 52.3.

Boiler circuit 16 amp could be done in 1.5mm depending on volt drop and derating for insulation etc.

Normal use sockets I would probably go 2x 20 amp radial circuits in 2.5mm.

Leave the kitchen as 32 amp RFC.

As mentioned in your other thread, speak to LABC and see what they require for compliance.

What would be your reasoning for this? After all the ring circuit was designed/created pretty much for this kind of thing, supplying a lot of sockets around a small house.
Both methods have their merits. With the increasing amount of equipment being fed via switched mode power supplies and other energy saving technologies earth leakage is increasing.

Also if a faulty piece of equipment operates the OCPD it doesn't take out all the appliances within the property.

As I said, I would probably go with two 20 amp radials but not definitely.

i think if there's full planning permission involved then you only need to provide an eic to labc and you dont need to notify under part p?

Thats possibly correct, I've had similar experience with extensions done via building regs or full planning. However, I would verify with your LBC before starting. They'll either agree with your statement or require electrical compliance notification. You don't want to get that request, after you have finished.

Reply to New build bungalow project in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net