Discuss New build query for Scottish based electricians in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

SSE

-
Reaction score
Been asked to carry out the electrics in a new build for someone I know. Although I’m a qualified electrician I’m not registered with Select or a similar body, I know it is advised to use someone from one of these bodies to carry out work & sign it off but where would I stand legally if I just sign it off myself? I done a new build a few years back as someone told me local council would accept a test sheet as long as they know you’re an electrician, which they did, no problem. Now I’m a bit older & wiser (possibly) I seem to be a bit more cautious about taking this on!! Would it be allowable for someone from one of these bodies to sign the test certificate off but for me to also sign to say I carried the work out?

The build must have a building warrant, in this the builder can specify that it's done by a person through a notifiable body , or that it will be done via a qualified person outwith a scheme, the local authority would then specify what they would need to see or completed before they issue it as fit to occupy etc.

The idea of a scheme is that the person can notify the authority via the scheme after the work is done, otherwise they have to apply for a building warrant before anyone can start the electrical work - which is what you have to do with a new build anyway.

I am an electrician in Scotland but am not a member of SELECT as they don't cover the sort of work I normally do. I keep myself up to date with the regs, testing and inspection and the Scottish building standards electrical certification. This is all shown on my ECS card. When I issue test certs that are going to be seen by building control I attach a copy of the ECS card. Some councils say that you must be a member of SELEC, this is wrong, call their bluff. The onus is on the council to determine if the electrician is suitable, ONE way of doing this is membership of SELECT but that is not the only way.

Reply to New build query for Scottish based electricians in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock