Currently reading:
New business. Where on earth do I start?!

Discuss New business. Where on earth do I start?! in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

DNS1

-
Esteemed
Reaction score
Hi chaps,

The main sticking point for my electrical career is currently my complete and total lack of business knowledge. I've looked at doing classes etc but so far not had much luck finding anything that fits in with my current work schedule.

Anyone got any good tips on where I can get the info I need on starting a basic business.

I've considered working as a sole trader but prefer the idea of being Ltd so I don't have the worry of losing my personal finances if things go wrong.

If anyone can give me any basic advice on how to get started, or where to learn about all this sort of thing it would be very much appreciated!

start from finding customers, find out where to advertise your services, talk to people and start getting your first jobs...

that and get in touch with business initiative. loads of free advice on starting up on your own.

Dnsi stay positive get your cards leaflets out to as many people wholesalers estate agencies builders freinds advert in local paper takes a while to get going try mixing it with some agencies work till you build your contacts up good look if your good you'll survive

we don't want to survive, we want 50K a year , just same as what the 5week training providers promised.

not much longer for me, mate. the reaper is knocking on the door. but i'll beat him yet. got to outlive the old man who said smokes will kill me early. he was 79, so ........

When you first become self employed its all too easy to concentrate on the work itself, but possibly more important is the business side. Get your bookwork sorted, otherwise no matter how hard you work you won't make any money!

Bit more info neede DNS1..
Are you employed at the moment and thinking about going S/E Ltd etc
If so I wouldn't take the leap of faith till you're absolutely positive you have enough contacts to keep you busy. Just setting up a company, buying a van and going part P doesnt automatically make 50k a year magically appear in your bank account (not that it isn't possible for a sole trader to make 50k a year. It is perfectly possible but probably quite rare these days.)
The fact is without all/most of the following you wont get very far
Good business skills
Good people skills
Good electrical skills
Good knowledge
Good drive/determination/motivation
5-10k in the bank
Existing contacts in the building/property trade who are guaranteed to give you regular work
Plenty of wealthy people living nearby who like having extensions/new kitchens etc etc

and most importantly of all

COMMON SENSE

Reply to New business. Where on earth do I start?! in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock