Discuss New consumer unit required for updated kitchen in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

user7743

DIY
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm in the process of having my kitchen refurbished and I'm looking for advice on my current setup as I have been told that I will require a new consumer unit in order to connect the new induction hob and oven.
The oven requires 16a and the hob is 7.2kw

It looks like he intends put both appliances on their own circuit

He's only happy to issue a certificate if a new consumer unit is installed

Any advice would be appreciated

Attachments

• IMG_20220612_160745.jpg
    665.3 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_20220612_160827.jpg
    236.9 KB · Views: 59
You have a spare fuse way on the RCD side so it is probably possible to do the job with some re-hashing of the board you already have there.

But I do know quite a few kitchen sparks who are really an@l about putting all appliances over 13amps on there own circuits which almost always means the home owner shelling out a much bigger new consumers unit

The RCD in your consumer unit is a type AC and is no longer considered suitable for general use, since Amendment 2 of the wiring regulations last year. Also, there is the cumulative earth leakage to consider with RCD protecting several circuits. I also would be recommending a new consumer unit before making any alterations or additions.

You can leave the existing board as is , and ask him to fit a smaller board next to it just for the new kitchen install

Some electricians just prefer to add a new board rather than touching anything on the old system… which absolves them from any future issues elsewhere in the house.

“My upstairs lights have gone off… you were the last one to work in there!!!”

Any new board, either replacement or addition will have to be up to the latest standards concerning being fire retardant and include an SPD… and maybe future proofed for an EV charger at some point.

Some electricians just prefer to add a new board rather than touching anything on the old system… which absolves them from any future issues elsewhere in the house.

“My upstairs lights have gone off… you were the last one to work in there!!!”
How many times have we all been there!

I fitted a consumer unit a few years back, just over a month later the client called to complain that her fridge freezer had stopped working.
I was perplexed as to why she thought it was anything I had done. She said "I've had that fridge freezer for years and it has been fine until you changed the fuse board" I explained that what I had done had no bearing on her fridge to stop working over a month later. She was having non of it, saying no one else had been to do any work since so it must!! have been what I had done.

She went on to rant saying she was going to take legal action if I didn't come immediately to fix/replace the fridge. Needless to say, after that call I never heard from her again.

Thanks for the replies.

He did say that it possible to adapt the old board but wouldn't issue a certificate for it.

And I fully understand bringing the board upto date but just wonder a little of what other issues might found

For example the garage has a small very old consumer unit in there. Is it possible he could say that this also needs bringing up to date?

Altering existing circuits is one thing, but adding new circuits would require upgrade to current standards. It’s new work. Has to be to 18th amdmt2…. Meaning SPD and fire retardant enclosure.

Electrician requires 2 new circuits, for hob and oven, so existing board doesn’t have enough spare ways anyway.

And I fully understand bringing the board upto date but just wonder a little of what other issues might found
Before changing a board, an installation should be tested to determine exactly that.
On the face of it, your installation doesn't look complex - a couple of lighting circuits, a couple of socket circuits, a garage board and an immersion/boiler.
It really wouldn't take long to test that and find out. A couple of global IR tests, check the rings are intact, check the lighting circuits are earthed to the end. Check the garage and immersion circuits. If it hasn't been modified much in the past then there's a good chance it is all serviceable.
If I turned up to do a landlord inspection at a house that had your your current board I'd be pleased it all looked logical!
Electrician requires 2 new circuits, for hob and oven, so existing board doesn’t have enough spare ways anyway.
There would in fact be 2 spare on right once the redundant door bell transformer MCB is removed.
But I agree, by the time external SPD is added, Type A RCBO's fitted, the faff factor has built up considerably and honestly a new board is simplest.
For example the garage has a small very old consumer unit in there. Is it possible he could say that this also needs bringing up to date?
It already has RCD protection at source (though type AC not A). Changing the board would fix that, it's a nice new cable, and as long as the other end isn't falling to bits with live parts exposed and is safe I'd be quite happy to reconnect that in a new board. Again, pre-testing would determine this beyond doubt.

I'm with @goasis on this one. Assuming parts are available I personally see no good reason to replace the board. In fact, unless manufacturers call for dedicated circuits, both appliances could probably go on the same standard 32A cooker circuit.

I'm usually reluctant to push for a new board when the existing one will do. It adds £500+ to the job for the customer, and then you never know if the next amendment of the regs will make it obsolete.

He did say that it possible to adapt the old board but wouldn't issue a certificate for it.

They must certify any work they carry out, if they don't then they aren't complying with the wiring regulations or the building regulations.

There is no regulatory reason why the new cir uits cannot be installed in the consumer unit you have.
However we have only seen a tiny snapshot of the installation whereas your electrician has seen the whole thing and knows far more than we do, there could be other factors affecting their decision on replacing the CU. Ask them to explain why they feel it is necessary to replace it and why they feel it would not be possible to certify their work if they connect to the existing one.

In your second picture the lid of the CU is incorrectly fitted, if it is just like that because it has been unscrewed to take the pictures then that's OK. But if that lid doesn't fit properly and stays in that position all the time due to it being damaged etc then it needs to be fixed as a matter of urgency.

Altering existing circuits is one thing, but adding new circuits would require upgrade to current standards. It’s new work. Has to be to 18th amdmt2…. Meaning SPD and fire retardant enclosure.

There are 3 spare ways available with a bit of re jigging. You wouldn't add a new circuit to any cu that wasn't fire retardant?

Reply to New consumer unit required for updated kitchen in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net