Discuss New dist. board in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Cost can be argued against lost production, if you have a fault you have lost the whole production area with your design, yes these outlets are costly but to comply to regulation regarding disruption then you have to explain this to the customer, having done commercial and industrial most of my career, I would never fit a 30mA front end on a distribution board unless special circumstances exist and/or it was otherwise requested by a designer of the install if that wasn't you - even then I would be holding a meeting to express my concerns.

The extra's to have RCD protection at the point of load where upfront protection isn't needed for cables etc may be thousands of pounds but to lose half a day or more production while an electrician comes to clear a fault they cannot isolate would probably dwarf the cost of designing it correctly in the first place, if this is about saving a few quid then you need to have a sit down and talk with the customer.

i wouldnt bother with an rcd but thats not to say i might not have a safety circuit that can shut large amounts of the installation out.

most industrial installs dont need an rcd.

why do you need an rcd? most machines have multiple guards/barriers to keep the operators away from the cables etc.

a company would rather pay £2000 than 200 if it means they wont be getting nuisance tripping causing a high loss of production

Nothing is confirmed yet I only met the client the other day so still a few meetings etc. before anything is finalised.

The companys method statement should say somthing in the Lines of Isolate the equipment before cleaning , do not use high presure water on equipment etc.

Have a job coming up to supply a new distribution board. I am planning on running a 25mm 4 core swa and 16mm earth of a distance of 30mtrs from incoming supply to new board. The supply is 3 phase 100a tncs. I was thinking of coming out of the Henley blocks into a 100A Glasgow switched fuse and then the swa out of the switched fuse to a 80A 30mA 4pole rccb supplying the new board. Thoughts?

16mm separate earth is most likely oversized and a complete waste of time and money to boot, if main bonding is required at the sub-board then a 10mm bond will be required, but not if no main bonding is to be connected there.
Glasgows are fused switches not switched fuses, there is a difference.
An 80A RCD is no good on a 100A supply.
A 30mA RCD covering a whole board is just plain ridiculous.

I mean when the cleaners are in they hose down everything

So make sure the install meets the appropriate IP rating, or is put into suitable enclosures. An RCD won't stop anything from getting wet, it will just switch it off and water will continue to enter the equipment.

I think the best option is use individual rcds if required. So instead of the 16mm earth would you just use the swa?

Using a seperate earth for the size you suggested wouldn't normally be required although it may be necessary in certain circumstances like reducing Zs due to high upstream initial values or bonding requirements may warrant running a seperate earth.

I think the best option is use individual rcds if required. So instead of the 16mm earth would you just use the swa?

Yes, following on from carrying out the calculations I would use the armour. If the armour is not sufficient then I'd look at using a bigger cable or a fifth core within the cable.

Had a look at the current set up. There is a main DB and 2 sub DB's. 1 of the sub boards is supplied from a fused switch and the other one is supplied from a 63A TP MCB. I would have thought both sub boards would have been supplied by fused switches.

Reply to New dist. board in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net