Discuss New extension to existing wiring in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Just been asked to quote to wire a new kitchen extension. I realise that the new extension must conform to the 18th IEE regs. The existing wiring in the remainder of the building has the sockets lower that the stated 450mm and the light switches are higher than 1200mm. Do these have to be re positioned and rewired?

Just been asked to quote to wire a new kitchen extension. I realise that the new extension must conform to the 18th IEE regs. The existing wiring in the remainder of the building has the sockets lower that the stated 450mm and the light switches are higher than 1200mm. Do these have to be re positioned and rewired?
simple answer is NO. as long as your new works comlpy with current regs. e.g. RCDs where needed and confirmation of adequate earthing/bonding.

Thanks alban, that's what I was hoping. The owner has recently bought the property and there was no electrical certificate available with the purchase. He would now like to have a test certificate for the complete installation after the extension is finished. Can the installation now be certificated to different standards?:confused:

Under regs it is fine as long as the original wiring can carry the new load safely, that it is earthed to current requirements and that the cross bonding is satisfactory. This only takes a few tests, and I expect you would know how.
too serious for this time of nite. even if i agree.

Thanks alban, that's what I was hoping. The owner has recently bought the property and there was no electrical certificate available with the purchase. He would now like to have a test certificate for the complete installation after the extension is finished. Can the installation now be certificated to different standards?:confused:
you can firsrt do a EIC for any work you do. then you could do a EICR for thr whole installation.

once you have finished the job and done all the checks on the old and new stuff including eath bonding as barnincks rightly says then that is fine
you should be able to get a certificate from whoever installed it or ask for a reprint from the appropriate person

I thought the height requirements was a Building reg thing? Has the 18th added something about this, or requires compliment with Building Regs?

Genuine question.

You should not use an EIC to report on the condition of the existing installation.

telectrix has said that a EICR can be used:confused:
Yes an EICR is used to report on the condition of an existing installation.
I think your customer is hoping that he can save money by having just the one certificate to cover everything.

Personally, I would conduct the EICR before starting the extension work.
That way, any faults or defects can be found before you start work.

Yes an EICR is used to report on the condition of an existing installation.
I think your customer is hoping that he can save money by having just the one certificate to cover everything.

Personally, I would conduct the EICR before starting the extension work.
That way, any faults or defects can be found before you start work.
Yes, we all want to save a little but he does not want any unsafe situation/installation. This is why he has requested a certificate for the complete property after the new refurbishment. I have agreed that the current installation will be inspected and any defects identified. Just needed confirmation that you can have an installation to 2 different regs.;)

It’s not so much as having an installation to 2 different Regs.
It’s more to do with the existing installation not having any code 1 or 2 defects or faults.
Also, a lot will depend on how you carry out the work.
For instance you may decide to supply the extension from a new separate CU, and leave the existing on the old CU.
Or you may decide to replace the old CU and install a new CU with extra ways to cover the extension.
This may mean that the existing installation is updated to comply with the 18th edition.

It’s not so much as having an installation to 2 different Regs.
It’s more to do with the existing installation not having any code 1 or 2 defects or faults.
Also, a lot will depend on how you carry out the work.
For instance you may decide to supply the extension from a new separate CU, and leave the existing on the old CU.
Or you may decide to replace the old CU and install a new CU with extra ways to cover the extension.
This may mean that the existing installation is updated to comply with the 18th edition.
The existing CU which has RCDs fitted has 2 spare ways so this should not be a problem. Don't need any cooker installation as all is gas.

new extension 450 sockets ,switches 1200 height ,to conform to the regs and building control .

Reply to New extension to existing wiring in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net