Discuss New kitchen electrical safety question in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I've just had a new kitchen fitted and the installer came out several months ago before work was due to start and checked out what needed doing and at that time he never advised me that I needed extra power plugs.

He started the work last week and advised me that I would need to purchase a 5 meter extension and run it round the back of the kitchen to the dishwasher as there isnt a plug.

I wanted to get some advice if this is safe and if the installer should have taken the time to install the extra power point.

Thanks

if you have payed to have a new kitchen fitted and electrics done at the same time then, as above, I would not be happy with having an extension lead for the dishwasher. A socket should have been installed for this.

I'd say that there is no safety issue with an extension lead, as long as the lead is the correct length and rating for the dishwasher. It's just shoddy. You payed for a new kitchen so you should get one...

Yes someone came out and designed the kitchen and confirmed where each appliance would go, when he designed the kitchen he never mentioned about additional power points were needed. Then another person came out to check to make sure everything was ok and again never advised that additional points were needed.

Think I am going to complain.

Check the paperwork on the original quote and order, it should state weather the electrical works are included or to be charged extra etc.

Who did the design? When I did the electrical install for a kitchen refurb, the kitchen designer position the appliances. It was then down to me, as the electrician, to ensure there was suitable points/supplies for the appliances. If the kitchen supplier did the whole thing, someone like Magnet, they are sometimes responsible for the whole lot,

But did it not occur to you? The mind boggles.

Not everyone thinks about electrical points... Most would not know or bother about the details but just expect a proper job to be done.

When having a large job done such as a kitchen it is a good idea to sit with the designers explaining what you want. Positions of sockets is pretty important, not just for a dishwasher but for all the other small appliances as well.

When having a large job done such as a kitchen it is a good idea to sit with the designers explaining what you want. Positions of sockets is pretty important, not just for a dishwasher but for all the other small appliances as well.

Yes but a customer shouldn't have to think about the designer not putting on a socket for each appliance. Most people would assume that it is a given.

This is not down to the customer to sort out. This should have been done by the company who he bought the kitchen off.
This should have been done before a price for the kitchen was given.
How can you quote for a new kitchen when you don't know if the electrics, water pipes, waste pipes ect need altering?

@Peter2009 , as James The Spark1976 has asked in post #9 "Check the paperwork on the original quote and order, it should state weather the electrical works are included or to be charged extra etc."
Have you checked the paperwork?

A few months ago I was asked to quote for electrical work to be done as part of a kitchen refurbishment. Imagine my horror when I arrived at the customer's house to discover that all the kitchen units, cupboards and appliances had already been fitted. The kitchen fitters had a go at the wiring, but left behind a complete lash-up. After having carried-out a brief visual inspection and carried-out some testing, I decided that this wasn't a job that I would be interested in quoting for.

Homeowners are almost certainly storing-up problems for themselves whenever they allow non-qualified, non-professional personnel to carry-out electrical work in their homes. More so up here in Scotland where anyone can advertise themselves as an electrician and carry-out electrical work, and where plenty actually do.

Last week I was asked to quote for some electrical work to be done as part of a bathroom refurbishment. As the proposed work would require alterations to be made to the bathroom lighting circuit, I checked to see if RCD protection and main bonding were present. The bonding was there, but there was no RCD protection ..... just an old Wylex board containing rewireable fuses. I explained to the customer what RCD protection is and why it would need to be provided in this instance. "But the kitchen fitters who did the electrical work in my new kitchen never said anything about these RCD things", she replied. Here we go again, I thought to myself.

I asked the customer to show me the electrical work that had done in the kitchen. I wasn't at all impressed with what I was saw. 10 downlights had been installed. So I dropped three for inspection. As per usual with kitchen fitters, the terminations had been made into choc block connectors and taped over. Even so, basic insulation was showing. From my sample, I concluded that the other 7 downlights would most likely have also been incorrectly terminated. As these downlights were on the same circuit that supplies the bathroom lighting circuit, I wasn't prepared to do any work in the bathroom until the defects with the downlights were rectified. I explained to the customer that I couldn't possibly work on a circuit that I knew to be defective. I don't think she fully understood what was being explained to her.

I also discovered that the kitchen fitters had installed a new circuit to supply the hob. They ran the wiring inside mini-trunking, but didn't use fire-rated clips anywhere in the run. And to put icing on the cake, the homeowner hadn't bothered to apply for the building warrant that was required for the electrical work. I didn't bother asking her if the kitchen fitters had given her an EIC in respect of the electrical work they carried-out because I already knew what the answer would be.

And so I had no choice to but to exercise the sensible option and walk away. Frankly, I'm sick and tired of coming across the sub-standard, untested, uncertified and often outright dangerous electrical work that has been carried-out by kitchen and bathroom fitters. I'm not interested in even quoting for remedial works in these scenarios. I do sympathise with the problems that the OP is facing and hope that he finds a satisfactory resolution. I strongly advise him to ensure that whoever does any future electrical work in his kitchen is a actually a qualified, professional electrician. Demand to see evidence of qualifications!

Happens all to often I think. Had a good working relationship with my fitters.

On another unconnected forum, there was a plumber showing off his work in bathrooms. I queried something about the electrical work. Seems he does all his own 1st fix etc, then gets a sparky mate in to test it and sign it off. Even connects up the odd fan or few lights, making additions. He said it’s only a few wires, nothing complicated.

This is not down to the customer to sort out. This should have been done by the company who he bought the kitchen off.
This should have been done before a price for the kitchen was given.
How can you quote for a new kitchen when you don't know if the electrics, water pipes, waste pipes ect need altering?
Though I agree, it all depends on what the kitchen supply company quoted for. As you rightly re-iterate in your next post, the details of exactly what the kitchen supply company are responsible for should be stated. I have come across kitchen companies that just offer supply & install and in their small print it states that alterations to M&E services are not included. If the kitchen company are responsible for the complete job then the customer has every right to complain and get the job rectified free of charge.

Reply to New kitchen electrical safety question in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock