Discuss New patented electrical outlet in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I think it might be intended to be mounted lower down like where a flex outlet would be. But fed from an isolator switch above.

Cord grip is raised above plate level, so I suspect a cover is to be placed over it.

The inclusion of a 13A socket outlet led me to believe this was intended to replace the old fashioned cooker isolator/socket combo, but perhaps it is intended for used behind oven or below hob, with socket provided for gas igniter or microwave as previously suggested.

I need to get hold of a better imagination.

Cord grip is raised above plate level, so I suspect a cover is to be placed over it.

The inclusion of a 13A socket outlet led me to believe this was intended to replace the old fashioned cooker isolator/socket combo, but perhaps it is intended for used behind oven or below hob, with socket provided for gas igniter or microwave as previously suggested.

I need to get hold of a better imagination.

Yeah I think definitely that's the case. Just replaces a single socket and flex outlet. Still needs an isolator above.

Needs to be pretty cheap.

In parts of European 3-phase land, they like to plug cookers in with 5-pin Perilex plugs, or the Swiss or French equivalents. Usually 16A or optionally 25A, if the cooker shares the load reasonably evenly between the phases, the 16A plug gives the equivalent of 48A single-phase, or 32A if only two phases are used (leaving the the third for the oven). In single-phase installations, there is an unofficial re-purposing of the Perilex as 2 x 16A by connecting the L3 pin to neutral instead. Russia has a dedicated 3-pin cooker plug rated at 25A, so rather less useful but purpose-made with a flat design to fit behind a cooker.

When you have wired a cooker to a Perilex with nothing heavier than 2.5mm², our system that involves beating 6.0 or 10.0 into submission and/or then finding your oven has a 2.5mm² flex intended for a 16A circuit all seems a bit random. Also what we really don't have a neat solution for is the significant number of ovens that require a circuit fused at no more than 20A, but more than 13A. These are often intended to be plugged-in with a 16A plug in Europe, but as we don't have a 16A domestic socket in the UK we end up hard-wiring them, perhaps paralleled with the hob on a 32A circuit and conveniently overlooking the requirement for 20A max OCPD.

It is possible to design a relatively cheap but reliable 32A or even 40A connector with a low profile, if high insertion force and limited insertion cycle life are not important. If the OP wants to revolutionise cooker connections, how about a dual socket face plate with two 32A low-profile connectors that can accept 6.0 T+E or 5-core 2.5, with the option to fuse one down to 20A with a cartridge. A bridge too far? People said that about RCDs.

Like I said

I know, but I was trying to see what the major revelation was about it. I can't see anything groundbreaking apart from not having to make the short connection between a 13A socket and a flex outlet.

I think it is a good idea if it will fit on a standard twin box.
I hate squeezing into a base unit and fighting with multiple cables trying to wire a socket and outlet for a gas ignition hob and 6kw oven or 6kw hob and 2kw oven.
If as said above it is reasonable price and it cuts down the time on installation I'm all for it. Did I mention I hate being crammed into a base unit! 😀

As mentioned above what we really need are lower profile higher current sockets and plugs for internal use.
The jump from 13A to 16A commando in terms of physical size is just silly!

As mentioned above what we really need are lower profile higher current sockets and plugs for internal use.

Back to the round pin 15A plugs maybe? They were ahead of their time!

Back to the round pin 15A plugs maybe? They were ahead of their time!
They are still in fact available. BS546 is still a current standard!
But what I'd like is a 20 amp small internal socket, maybe with triangular pins just for fun....

Does anyone no of companies that will manufacture our new patented electrical outlet that will make installing cookers and ovens are far easier job for all concerned.

Regards

Michael
Depends on what type of patent you have etc. if its not a bad idea... sell the Patent and walk off into the sunset . But if it is the outlet shown in the thread? If its any good , The Chinese will be all over it . "patents " mean nothing there . The cost to fully patent things costs a fortune .I owned a full patent that was established after 2 years .It cost £5k almost to the pound in 1992. I Then sold the full rights for £22k . I knew I could never fund the concept . But someone would want it and they did . And for them it was peanuts . Not a bad profit .Purchased a 20v Audi "UR" with the money !

Last edited:
A lot of that is to do with IP considerations, more than rating. A company called Neutrik attempted to take that problem on with a range of connectors that are IPx5 16-32A and literally about the size of a fat thumb but they've only ever really caught on in the events world, and even then only as final connectors. Power - https://www.neutrik.com/en/products/power

Reply to New patented electrical outlet in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock