Discuss new shower cct-:new consumer ? in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

H

heathelect

just looked at a shower job on a house (new cct) , i replaced consumer unit 18 months ago. Question is do i fit a new 17th edition unit or use one of the spare ways in the old one, the old one is an 8way front end rcd consumer with 2 spare ways, all earthing and bonding was done at the time of the consumer change, your thoughts please. regards dave:eek:

house ive been working in< not c u change...yet> shower on rewirable fuse!!! shower obveously newer than the board,id have insisted separate rcd or rcd board if i had fitted.keep old board? at time of regs the board you fitted was current.....cant see why you have to change.could you justify cost to customer or need? after all its less than 2 yrs old?

house ive been working in< not c u change...yet> shower on rewirable fuse!!! shower obveously newer than the board,id have insisted separate rcd or rcd board if i had fitted.keep old board? at time of regs the board you fitted was current.....cant see why you have to change.could you justify cost to customer or need? after all its less than 2 yrs old?

thanks i agree i dont really want to fit new one, but if i connect new shower cct to old consumer it probably doesnt comply with 17th ?

You need to install the shower to the 17th ,which means rcd protected ,and forget the rest of the installation. As long as the main bonds are in place which you say they are. Job done!

Mark

without diggin out me guide what are differences on 16th to 17th shower install? rcd obveousley......soz spellin...

16th Ed needed RCD aswell so should be no different. I would fit a shower on 16th board,(or any other) and if there's no RCD use an RCBO. There's no difference in the boards, just the configuration of MCB's/RCD's. (As far as I can see!!!) If its an old fuse board I would just run it through a seperate RCD enclosure.

Right, no change, it needs RCD under either regs. Been a Suzuki man myself for a few years - was running a '75 GT380 until recently, small but unpredictable fun, handled like a bag of s**t but kept me on my toes. The Bandit is the opposite - put it into a corner and you know you are coming out the other end. Have we hijacked another thread? Sorry!!!!!

Think the original question was asking The main RCD covers all the board therefore in the event of a single fault the whole installation will trip which is not to BS7671 17th But we are talking about the regs for an additional circuit........... I feel like shakey here!!!!!!!

Mark

or i could copy and paste the entire 17th edition wiring regs and feel more like Carter:D:D:D:D:D

Mark

Last edited by a moderator:
If it was an RCD incomer I'd probably stick the shower on an RCBO - give you a fighting chance. As a matter of interest did a job recently where a fault on a lighting circuit was tripping both RCD's (lights and sockets) on 17th board. The circuits were seperated correctly so don't ask me how it was doing it - it was a duff light that the owner had fitted himself - so this seperation of circuits isn't necessarily the answer to all tripping problems. I wonder how much further we'll go to try and keep lights and sockets working whatever the fault?

Would'nt a RCBO on the old consumer comply with the 17th out of interest

yes i suppose rcbo or existing mcb is ok, was just concerned about splitting ccts up onto seperate rcds as per 17th !!

yes i suppose rcbo or existing mcb is ok, was just concerned about splitting ccts up onto seperate rcds as per 17th !!

going down pub now for afew beers goodnight all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1:p:p:):)

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to new shower cct-:new consumer ? in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock