Discuss New SWA to flats from head in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

First time posting but I've been commissioned with essentially running new cables from the head to 5 flats, due to the ground floor flat not allowing us to run the cables through their flat to the next one we will have to come out of the basement and upto the roof and then down the stairwell.

There was a EICR done around 6 months ago that said it should be inspected again around now, which I will do within the next two weeks but the bigger job needs to be done.

Currently it looks like this, in order from top to bottom.
Main head (to be upgraded from DNO)
Meters
Isolation Switches
Old lead cables (maybe 6mm) to flats

New config will look like this

Main head
Meters
Ryefield board
Isolation Switches
SWA to flats (longest run will be around 50m - up then down)

My questions is firstly is the Ryefield board in the right place or does it go before the meters?, i'm sure i've read somewhere that it goes before the meter but obviously before the meter I can't touch can I?

Secondly some of the flats have old wired fuse boxes, if i'm now supplying the bigger cable do I have to change the old fuse boards?

Thirdly it's in a conservation area, any suggestions on how to hide/camouflage the cables running up the wall will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

1)first you need to work out the cable runs the loading to each flat .
2) the ryfield board needs to be in place so the DNO can swop over .
3) isolation switches after the meter
4) swa to the flats to hide the cables in a wall box .or other .

Thanks Buzz, I know the isos come after the meter but was trying to ascertain where the Ryefield board comes is it between the meter and head? OR Meter and Isos? I thought it was meter and head, but read online somewhere that it's after the meter which was new to me.

And on the note of the DNO, i'm thinking to get them out after we complete our prep work and cable runs, when we are ready to connect the flats, as we only have between 1-3 days in each flat to connect their CUs? Depending on difficulty and location. Some it's directly through the wall others involve lifting floor boards and 3-5m runs inside the flats.

Also more importantly can we connect the new cable to the old (wire) type of fuse board or do we have to upgrade them to 18th edition.

I'm still to do my v drops and calculations which I will do next week when I go to do my EICR there. That way I can measure exactly how long my runs will be.

Before you run the SWA up the outside and cover it, you need to speak the L.A Conservation Officer to check they have no restrictions.

It'll be cheaper than having to rip it all out again.

Years ago there were restrictions on where or even if you could fit a Sky dish in Conservation areas.

I assume the stairwell is an escape route. Regulation 422.2.1 gives guidance on cable specification and cable management systems, from reading this it precludes cable cleats.

Thanks guys for all the help.
[automerge]1573241013[/automerge]
I assume the stairwell is an escape route. Regulation 422.2.1 gives guidance on cable specification and cable management systems, from reading this it precludes cable cleats.
Yes initial ideas are to run the cables in a track with ss cable ties, or ss trunkings the whole way.

Last edited:

Reply to New SWA to flats from head in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net