Discuss New Trades Career in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Snoopy

DIY
Reaction score
Has anyone trained we these guys? I’m hoping to retrain as an electrician, I’ve been offered a course by this company.

I wondered if anybody had any feedback or experience with them.

Thanks

How do you mean offered?

Training centres take anybody on. Why would they offer you a course? Sounds fishy.

Which actual qualifications are you looking to get and what actual job do you want at the end of gaining them?

Welcome to the forum BTW. :) Thanks for signing up.

How do you mean offered?

Training centres take anybody on. Why would they offer you a course? Sounds fishy.

Which actual qualifications are you looking to get and what actual job do you want at the end of gaining them?

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the reply. I enquired about train to be an electrician via the Reed recruitment website. I received a call a couple of days later and had an appointment made for the following morning, an advisor from the company came to my house and ‘interviewed’ me.

The upshot is I am suitable for the course, however I’m a little unsure about the company. All the qualifications you earn seem legit, but it’s £180 per month. Total cost is £7800.

The course I am looking at is a Commercial Electrician, but it’s broken down into 3 parts.

I don’t have any qualifications as yet.
[automerge]1572628562[/automerge]
How do you mean offered?

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the reply. I enquired about train to be an electrician via the Reed recruitment website. I received a call a couple of days later and had an appointment made for the following morning, an advisor from the company came to my house and ‘interviewed’ me.

The upshot is I am suitable for the course, however I’m a little unsure about the company. All the qualifications you earn seem legit, but it’s £180 per month. Total cost is £7800.

The course I am looking at is a Commercial Electrician, but it’s broken down into 3 parts.

Last edited:
There are quite a few posts for this company, if you search. Some posts seem to mention having to sit tests which people find difficult to pass - I wonder if it might be to have you keep paying the fees while you try again?

Have you enquired with local colleges yet to compare prices ?

Hi Dan,

[automerge]1572628562[/automerge]

Hi Dan,

Avoid any company that interviews you and says you have passed and are suitable to pay them money monthly lol

Find a reputable company. Speak to our sponsors, XS Training and then Trade Skills 4U.

Both independent and neither to do with us. And we've. Never seen a bad word anywhere online about them. And they won't come sit in your living room to test see how much money you can give them.

Also speak to your local colleges

And also speak to potential employers to see if they have government backed scheme or subsidies or even apprenticeships that pay.

Do not sign anything with anybody until you've been to speak to some people who have already done the same via the same route you are interested in.

Snoopy stay well clear.

Everyone is suitable of that course as long as you've got a bank account and can pay a fixed amount every month. Its one of their sales tactics to make you think you've passed some sort of special interviewing assesment.

Like I have said before on the forum any salesman who turns up at your door with a clipboard promising you this and promising you that should be kindly told you are not interested.

As Dan has said try your local colleges.

Not an advisor mate...a salesman, plenty of decent course providers out there but none that will get you to commercial level just in the classroom alone I’m afraid...

Let's try keep this thread. So be mindful of how we say things in it.

I'm about to install a news / blog to the forum (have done it on the other two) and this is a big area I want plenty of advice articles about.

We have seen these companies come and go over the years but the directors or usually connected. And usually end up in Scotland so you can't sue without losing even more money through travel and accomodation etc

Not saying this company is one of them. But it sounds exactly the bloody same to me I can't believe there are still such companies around.

This training firms and those "pay us 5 grand and we will send you work" firms all need some clever blogging done about them. Ones I will stand behind in court.

We are hosted in France, managed in Italy, and I am subbed out to the forum for web work only. ;)

It's operated from a country out of their remit. They can't take me anywhere and get a penny from me.

I trained with new trades career - the chap you spoke to IS a salesman but the course is legit. If you can afford to, pay up front for the whole course and save a shedload.
You will have 3 years to complete the course - it should take you to level 3 and cover your AM2.
The actual training is done by a city and guilds registered company, and most of the work is done from home (theory) with 1 week courses at a centre to do practicals and take exams.
My experience is that you need to either already be an electricians mate or improver etc or have a very good idea about being an electrician.
People that have come straight from other areas/school seem to struggle. The exams can be difficult but it is genuine C&G stuff that all the electricians on this site would have taken.
We are, after all, the geniuses of the building industry!!!

I trained with new trades career - the chap you spoke to IS a salesman but the course is legit. If you can afford to, pay up front for the whole course and save a shedload.
You will have 3 years to complete the course - it should take you to level 3 and cover your AM2.
The actual training is done by a city and guilds registered company, and most of the work is done from home (theory) with 1 week courses at a centre to do practicals and take exams.
My experience is that you need to either already be an electricians mate or improver etc or have a very good idea about being an electrician.
People that have come straight from other areas/school seem to struggle. The exams can be difficult but it is genuine C&G stuff that all the electricians on this site would have taken.
We are, after all, the geniuses of the building industry!!!
What are you doing now, are you in the trade then?

Im also considering the Full Scope Electrician course that NewtradesCareer are offering.
Ive got a bit more information from them as to what qualifications you complete with.

C&G 2393 (part p)
C&G 2382 18th edition IET Wiring Regulations
Part P full scope
C&G 2392 fundamental inspection
C&G 2365 Level 2 and 3 diploma in electrical installations
C&G 2391 level 3 in inspection and testing
AM2 Qualification

For these qualifications they are asking for £7740

With this you learn at your own pace from home with 9 weeks of in-centre practical training and assessment.

Im also intrested in any feedback about this company and wether this is good value ?

Im also considering the Full Scope Electrician course that NewtradesCareer are offering.
Ive got a bit more information from them as to what qualifications you complete with.

C&G 2393 (part p)
Part P full scope
AM2 Qualification

With this you learn at your own pace from home with 9 weeks of in-centre practical training and assessment.

Im also intrested in any feedback about this company and wether this is good value ?

My personal opinion...paying a lot of money out for some training gets you some qualifications but please remember on site training/experience is worth more.
9 weeks in center experience does not give you any real world life experience

My personal opinion...paying a lot of money out for some training gets you some qualifications but please remember on site training/experience is worth more.
9 weeks in center experience does not give you any real world life experience
As I have said before, this course is designed for people who already work full time in completely different fields and are looking to make a change but can’t afford to stop working, hence, the theory is done in your own time and weeks are done when you can book weeks off work. You are completely correct in that real world experience really does make the difference and I have seen how different the electricians mates are to the office workers, so to speak, when it came to the practical tests due to their on site experience...

As I have said before, this course is designed for people who already work full time in completely different fields and are looking to make a change but can’t afford to stop working, hence, the theory is done in your own time and weeks are done when you can book weeks off work. You are completely correct in that real world experience really does make the difference and I have seen how different the electricians mates are to the office workers, so to speak, when it came to the practical tests due to their on site experience...
Are you working as a sparky now then?

Are you working as a sparky now then?
I am Dan on a part time, private friends and family only at the moment as I still have a full time job elsewhere outside the industry. I do my work to regs and test/certify it etc. As previous members have pointed out, it’s the hands on experience that teaches you so much more. I’m also get more efficient at the simpler tasks.
This forum has been an immense source of information too, especially when it comes to the various anomalies that we seem to come across and how to solve them!!

C&G 2393 (part p)
Part P full scope
AM2 Qualification

Part P means little in the world of becoming a spark.
18th Edition should in theory be covered by the core qualifications ie 2365 2 & 3.
Inspection and Testing is only worth having once you become a competent spark.
AM2 if the final leg of becoming a spark but you need an NVQ to go with this and the core qualifications to become a spark.
Also I think you need to do bridging units to link 2365 2 & 3 to go with and NVQ to bring it all together.

Find an out-fit that will put together the package to get you an Electricians ECS JIB Gold Card.

The Gold Card is the only ticket that carries any weight in the industry and opens doors if you want to work as a spark across all the sectors.

Reply to New Trades Career in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net