Discuss New Trades Career in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I've joined this forum just to post some information about the company that calls itself New Trades Career (among other names). It's based on some background checks I did on them after a negative experience. These things should immediately set off some alarm bells for you:

1) They seem to have set up a website under the domain trust-reviews.org which has some very good reviews on it and appears somewhere at the top of the Google search results. The website is clearly meant to mimic other review sites like Trust Pilot, but when you look into it you realize it only has reviews for this company on it. These are obviously very deceptive tactics and it's the main thing that made me gain trust in the company when I did my first background check on them. I've attached some screenshots of the website in case it's removed in the future. When asked about the website, they deny all knowledge of it.

2) They go by various different names. During my communications with them they sent emails from the domain "tradescollege.org". Links were sent to the websites "newtradescareer.co.uk" (New Trades Career) and "ntc-college.co.uk" (NTC College). There's also a website under the domain "tradescollege.co.uk" which most likely also belongs to them.

3) They say they have colleges "all around the country", but there is no information on any of the websites about where these colleges are. When I phoned them and asked about the location of the colleges, I was told by the representative that she did not "feel comfortable divulging this information".

4) They expect you to sign up for the course without sending you a contract or any information about the kind of financial commitment you'd be getting into. In my case it was a 48 month commitment at £180 per month. When I asked them to see a contract, they told me this was not possible until after I'd handed over my bank details because "the system didn't allow it".

5) There are some negative reviews of the company on Trust Pilot, however the trust pilot reviews don't seem to appear when you Google the company (at least not anywhere near the top). I also tried to post my own review on Trust Pilot, but my reviews were flagged for "Violating Trust Pilot Guidelines" (No further explanation). If you do a bit of digging into Trust Pilot itself, you'll find that you can't trust them either and that they frequently take down genuine reviews on spurious grounds.

Attachments

• New Trades Career Screenshot 2020-11-04 132034 - EletriciansForums.net
    Screenshot 2020-11-04 132034.png
    113.2 KB · Views: 9
  • New Trades Career Screenshot 2020-11-04 132746 - EletriciansForums.net
    Screenshot 2020-11-04 132746.png
    114.4 KB · Views: 9
I've joined this forum just to post some information about the company that calls itself New Trades Career (among other names). It's based on some background checks I did on them after a negative experience. These things should immediately set off some alarm bells for you:

1) They seem to have set up a website under the domain trust-reviews.org which has some very good reviews on it and appears somewhere at the top of the Google search results. The website is clearly meant to mimic other review sites like Trust Pilot, but when you look into it you realize it only has reviews for this company on it. These are obviously very deceptive tactics and it's the main thing that made me gain trust in the company when I did my first background check on them. I've attached some screenshots of the website in case it's removed in the future. When asked about the website, they deny all knowledge of it.

2) They go by various different names. During my communications with them they sent emails from the domain "tradescollege.org". Links were sent to the websites "newtradescareer.co.uk" (New Trades Career) and "ntc-college.co.uk" (NTC College). There's also a website under the domain "tradescollege.co.uk" which most likely also belongs to them.

3) They say they have colleges "all around the country", but there is no information on any of the websites about where these colleges are. When I phoned them and asked about the location of the colleges, I was told by the representative that she did not "feel comfortable divulging this information".

4) They expect you to sign up for the course without sending you a contract or any information about the kind of financial commitment you'd be getting into. In my case it was a 48 month commitment at £180 per month. When I asked them to see a contract, they told me this was not possible until after I'd handed over my bank details because "the system didn't allow it".

5) There are some negative reviews of the company on Trust Pilot, however the trust pilot reviews don't seem to appear when you Google the company (at least not anywhere near the top). I also tried to post my own review on Trust Pilot, but my reviews were flagged for "Violating Trust Pilot Guidelines" (No further explanation). If you do a bit of digging into Trust Pilot itself, you'll find that you can't trust them either and that they frequently take down genuine reviews on spurious grounds.
Can you enlighten us on your negative experience?

Can you enlighten us on your negative experience?
Mainly, this: I was pressured into signing up for a course at a cost of £180 per month with a 48 month commitment without being given any real information. In fact, the sales guy only mentioned the 48 month commitment after I specifically asked. When I then asked him to send me a contract (which you should not even have to ask for), the guy got angry and said that "the system would not allow him to" until after I'd handed over my bank details. When I insisted, he got even angrier and told me he was "very busy" and eventually disconnected the call. I'm not sure on the legality of this, but I've never encountered a company before that refuses to send you a contract for such a long term commitment. This, added to all the other stuff I mentioned above, tells me all I need to know about them.

How long ago was this? There’s all sorts of legislation in the consumer credit act with cooling off periods etc. Have you started any sort of course yet?

How long ago was this? There’s all sorts of legislation in the consumer credit act with cooling off periods etc. Have you started any sort of course yet?
Beside the point. Even if there are cooling off periods, etc. you shouldn't sign up/ sign anything before you have a good idea of what you're getting yourself into. With a 48 month contract, there are all sorts of questions. What if I decide I don't want to do the course anymore? What if I become ill? Also, have a read of the reviews on Trust Pilot. Apparently one of their other tactics is to send you the study materials by post several weeks after you sign up. That way you miss the cooling off period.

So have you signed anything or is it just that you’ve given over your bank details?

as with anything else, shop around and research each provider. Dan posted on page 1 of this thread a useful post regarding 2 of the forum sponsors. A mate of mine did a short course DI course aged late 50's with Tradeskills4U and is currently doing well, domestic only.

Apologies. I thought you’d signed up to the course. There are a few dodgy course providers around that employ hard sell tactics. Forget them and continue to shop around as there are plenty of better ones. Don’t forget your local colleges, if you have one, as you’ll save some money.

as with anything else, shop around and research each provider. Dan posted on page 1 of this thread a useful post regarding 2 of the forum sponsors. A mate of mine did a short course DI course aged late 50's with Tradeskills4U and is currently doing well, domestic only.

Apologies. I thought you’d signed up to the course. There are a few dodgy course providers around that employ hard sell tactics. Forget them and continue to shop around as there are plenty of better ones. Don’t forget your local colleges, if you have one, as you’ll save some money.
No, I pulled out just before signing up. I had a feeling that it was dodgy the whole time, but the people I spoke to were very charming and professional (until I asked for a contract) and the trust-reviews website convinced me it was a genuine course.

Thanks for the advice, the college route is something I'm exploring now and looks very promising.

No, I pulled out just before signing up. I had a feeling that it was dodgy the whole time, but the people I spoke to were very charming and professional (until I asked for a contract) and the trust-reviews website convinced me it was a genuine course.

Thanks for the advice, the college route is something I'm exploring now and looks very promising.
C&G 2365 L2 & L3. 18th Edition you can also do course or exam only at some colleges but there are also some good online training providers that will give good preparation training. Also look at 2391 for inspection and testing. There’s loads of info on here as the question come up almost daily ?

The Electrotechnical Skills Partnership (TESP) has produced some industry guidance and infographics to try and help navigate the confusion for people looking to join or progress as an electrician, it's hosted on the Electrical Careers website at https://www.electricalcareers.co.uk/joining-the-industry/training-routes/

Route 3 is for self-funded entrants. As others have stated, if you want to be recognised as a qualified electrician start with the Level 2 technical diploma, and follow with Level 3, then you'll have the underpinning technical knowledge. you'll find it much easier to gain experience for the NVQ element, or an employer can get funding to finish you off via an apprenticeship. Local colleges may have funding for the technical certificates up to Level 3 as part of the covid-recovery re-skilling effort, depending on what qualifications you already hold.

Don't pay up front for inspection and testing etc, these are courses designed for the qualified, practising electrician. It's better to pay for each qualification as you progress in case life gets in the way or you find a supportive employer rather than commit to a high cost for a long period of time.

Hi Slabos,

So I've roped myself into a 12 month contract with these people and I'm starting to regret it. Luckily my contract only discusses payments for 12 months so my total is only around £2000. Did you find any way to get out of the fixed term loan because I'd greatly appreciate any advice on how to best go about it.

I actually receieved a contract by email and I still have copies. In the contract it says that the finance companies should have sent me a copy of their privacy policy but they never sent me one. On top of all of this the materials they give you are outdated (a virtual reality game which doesn't even work and is on CD for some reason), a textbook which is riddled with spelling and grammar errors and has a really confusing way of explaining things. They fail to mention in any contract that each practical day is £80 per session, running costs up substantially. They absolutely were reluctant to tell me where the training centres were and only after I'd signed up did they show me that I was two hours away from the electrical centre. To top it all off, I've read reviews saying that the pre-attendance exams for the practical days are extremely hard to pass and they offer little to no help to get you through them.

On the more financial side of things, they knew that I only had £80 a month spare to pay for the course but still accepted me as a student even though its £180 a month. That's probably my fault but these people really pressure you into signing up. I had two interviews within two days and by the end of the second one everything was set up and my payments were starting to be made.

Again I'm trying to get out of the agreement now, but I'm failry sure I'm going to be stuck paying the £2000. It could be worse, I could be paying the full 48 months.

Hi Slabos,

So I've roped myself into a 12 month contract with these people and I'm starting to regret it. Luckily my contract only discusses payments for 12 months so my total is only around £2000. Did you find any way to get out of the fixed term loan because I'd greatly appreciate any advice on how to best go about it.

I actually receieved a contract by email and I still have copies. In the contract it says that the finance companies should have sent me a copy of their privacy policy but they never sent me one. On top of all of this the materials they give you are outdated (a virtual reality game which doesn't even work and is on CD for some reason), a textbook which is riddled with spelling and grammar errors and has a really confusing way of explaining things. They fail to mention in any contract that each practical day is £80 per session, running costs up substantially. They absolutely were reluctant to tell me where the training centres were and only after I'd signed up did they show me that I was two hours away from the electrical centre. To top it all off, I've read reviews saying that the pre-attendance exams for the practical days are extremely hard to pass and they offer little to no help to get you through them.

On the more financial side of things, they knew that I only had £80 a month spare to pay for the course but still accepted me as a student even though its £180 a month. That's probably my fault but these people really pressure you into signing up. I had two interviews within two days and by the end of the second one everything was set up and my payments were starting to be made.

Again I'm trying to get out of the agreement now, but I'm failry sure I'm going to be stuck paying the £2000. It could be worse, I could be paying the full 48 months.

Hi,

I'm sorry you got roped into a contract. Unfortunately I don't know how you can get out of it, since I never actually signed up for anything. I pulled out just before because I got the feeling that something was off about the whole thing, but it was close and they do really put the pressure on you. Not sure what to suggest apart from reading through the contract carefully and seeing if there's some sort of get out clause. I'd maybe even get in contact with the police/authorities, because if this isn't a scam, it's pretty damn close to one.

Try the citizens advice.

CAB

I’m not an expert but I’m sure when it comes to credit agreements there’s a built in cooling off period. As above, get some advice from CAB.

I study with them since 2018.
I've found them on an advert on Facebook, filled in my details. And they called one day after a while and to query if I'm interested. I got a 2 people interview at my home. They literally want to assess each candidate and evaluate them, to see of they are realy determined and keen to learn.
I'm half way through my training at the moment. I get my learning materials through post as I advance. Assements are submitted online after each module. 33 modules in total.
We also get pratctical training. A total of 5 weeks where you get your hands on and we can add all that work to our portfolio.
They work with many local colleges around the country i see. My training will be at one college in Southampton.
And cost was 7800, paid through Caledonian Consume something. I'm paying £180/month. I think is a 0% finance or so because the number of months are exactly £7800/180.
I've been a lazy learner so far. I will keep you updated as i go along. The course was excellent so far.

Hi Slabos,

Is this with new trades career? I recently have signed up and I think I’ve just came out of the cooling off period but I’m worried about the company after all that has been said on this forum. How far are you into the course and why do you regret getting into it?

Not an advisor mate...a salesman, plenty of decent course providers out there but none that will get you to commercial level just in the classroom alone I’m afraid...
Hello, can somebody please offer me some insight to whether I am being scammed or not! I am very concerned after reading some of the things on this forum and online. I have recently signed up for the electrician course with ‘new trades career’. I guess I just want to know if I can definitely become and electrician/electrical installer after completing the necessary qualifications with this training provider and whether the qualifications will be valid and actually nationally approved. As mentioned in a previous post on this forum I cannot find any information about the training centres and I am very worried that I might be in the process of being scammed please help!

Reply to New Trades Career in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock