Discuss Newbie Hopefull Seeking Advice in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello

I was recentely made redundant after 9 years working in IT. At the age of 42, its daunting. Due to redundancy pay, i can survive and support my family for around 10 months, if i spend little. I am thinking of trying to qualify as an electrician with hopefully my main work being domestic including new builds. After calling around a fair few training schools i am constently getting different answers as to what is needed to install and sign of via NICEIC my own work and would also like advise from the expert electricians on this forum as to if its worth it, considering my need to support the family given the above. I am being asked for between 4 - 8 thousand for a combination of level 2 and level 3 courses with none garanteeing NICEIC will except me and none giving advise as to the liklyhood of me finding a job after.

The 2 providers at the top of my list so far are access training uk offering c and g 2392, 2395, 2394, PAT testing, Part P and 17th edition for £4395

And

Tradeskills4u offering c and g level 2 and 3 2365 for £7490

Both are alot of money that i cannot risk if chances of employment are low.

Clearly if theirs a very nice electrician in essex who wants to take me on as an appentice, i would very much appreciate it :).

Thank you all

Hi Adrian, yes well challenging times. Everything is a risk if you do nothing it gets worse...so anyway you have to try something. Determination is key in any endeavour methinks I wish you luck with the direction you take. I always trot out this link which gives a good idea of what ways you can legitimately join the industry. Morris Services - Getting Started - http://www.morrisservices.co.uk/gettingstarted.asp I think it covers all bases and possibilities. You will see many who have done the training you are contemplating crying as they spent all that money and can not get into the industry as the qualies they got are not what is wanted in the industry so I recommend you read very carefully what is required in the link before plunging in. In short I think I would recommedn you go for C&G 2397 then C&G 2395 while working like stink for experience. Ads in your local wholesalers can help. You need to get work as an electricians mate, I dont think you will find an apprenticeship personally unless some miracle occurs which I would not discount but would neither rely on.

Unless you can get on as a trainee/mate with a company before hand I wouldn't waste your money going to college/training schools. I know a few people who have been sold the dream of becoming an electrician is the path to riches. The ones who are on this path are the training providers imo unless they can offer you a placement with a company prior.

Another thing, people complete the courses and think they are electricians but have a shock when they can not get a job as a mate/trainee because they have no practical experience.

The people who are prepared to go on the cards with a company and work for the money they are worth (£50/£60 a day) from the bottom up are normally the ones who succeed because the money is not important its about learning and reaching the goal of becoming an all round electrician.

The company I'm working for, as quite a few apprentices and trainees and we have a guy in his twenties, another career change and he had done short courses for a few thousands ££££. Came to us and quickly found out he was a nobody in the scheme of things. Company offered him a trainee position on the cards with holiday pay, expenses etc he takes himself to night school twice a week and as started at the bottom ie 2365 level 2. Thinks he on something like £250 a week plus expenses and holiday, he appreciates the opportunity and will get there in about 4 years time.

Thank you both for your replys. Clearly earning £50-£60 a day is a serious shock to the system but i would have no issues with this and doing night school. Because it acheives experiance and qualifications at the same time, which is the favoured route in most jobs. I guess the major issue is finding someone who is willing to take on a 40 year old when i guess theirs a lot of 20 year old out their wanting the same. Anyone can advise who's doors i should be knocking on, perhaps finding some new builds and asking the onsite electricians ?. Perhaps s small company that needs IT but cannot
afford it, so i can multitask and therefore bring something to the party ?.

I've used Access Training and while they'll get you through the exams I cannot recommend them.

The electrical course that I have experienced was poorly structured with no over view and outline of syllabus and expectations other than these are the C&G exams you are taking.

There was no precourse material provided after they took my money. I had to be very proactive prior to the course to establish what books were needed. I'm fairly pragmatic about the situation as it's not my main career and at present and my livelyhood is not dependant on it. It is a subject I love though.

There were young guys on my course from all walks of life that had been sold the dream of becoming a fully qualified electrician. They were bought down to earth with a bump big time. Several of my class were criticised heavily by the instructor for turning up without copies of BS7671 & OSG etc when they clearly had not received an pre course joining instructions. Basic stuff when any idiot runs a course! They have some good instructors but I got the impression they were fighting a poorly organised management system. Company head office communication was also non-existent.

One could argue buyer beware for some of my class mates not researching the trade properly but part of me still feels this sector of training with the intense fast track courses, and hard sell is on the edge re Trading Standards breaches. All you need to do is buy Bs7671, on site guide, guide to Part P of the building Regs, GN3, GN8, download some practice exams and then find a centre that will let you do the exams on line. There was next to zero practical input. You can probably learn more theory wise watching the likes of Chris Kitchener and John Ward for free on YouTube.

£4/5k is way over the top. These short course training providers are like double glazing salesman.(I'm sure some are better than others). If you want to go with them, drag your feet, think about it, shop around and after a while they will come back with an offer a couple of grand cheaper.

If you're young go for a college course and get hands on ASAP.

Here is my take on it;

Im in the same boat, im currently undertaking a domestic installer course in Cardiff with a firm called Truetech. They advised all books prior to starting the course and let me split the course over 5 Months. They even arrange overnight accommodation and food if required.

I do 1 week a month. The other weeks in the month I am working as an electricians mate - For £60 a day, I had to find this myself, ive bought my own tools and am learning loads on the job

Course is 3k and at the end you will gain

17th ED Wiring regs
Part P
Pat testing (meh)
C&G 2397 - This is the lvl 3 award in domestic installation, which meets NIC requirements for domestic installer scheme
C&G 2392 - This is the simplified version of testing and inspecting, with this you can test and certify your own work. You cannot do periodic inspections for landlords etc....

I qualify in July, I can then either jump straight into NIC assessment and try to work for myself or simply carry on working as a mate but discuss a pay review.

Reply to Newbie Hopefull Seeking Advice in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net