NICEIC Certification Scheme NIC assessment major worries

Discuss NIC assessment major worries in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I've got my NIC Domestic Installer assessment coming up in a few weeks and am a little concerned about it.

I signed up over the phone, signed and returned the forms, but after re-reading them, I'm a little (lot) concerned.

As I don't hold an NVQ L3, the form mentions I require a craft assessment and goes on to say, eg. A full rewire is suitable.

Now I don't have a full rewire to show! Never had the opportunity to do one as I've only recently started trading on my own.

Is this going to be a wasted visit and a waste of my money and the assessors time?

I've always been under the impression that showing a new circuit would be good enough and had planned on showing a recent radial circuit that has been added to the consumer unit for a customer to provide multiple sockets for shed power.

Should I just quit before wasting the assessors travel time?

Mikey

I'd call them tomorrow and express your concerns. Earlier you get clarification the better. They don't like giving refunds close to assessment dates.

I'd call them tomorrow and express your concerns. Earlier you get clarification the better. They don't like giving refunds close to assessment dates.
Thanks,

I can imagine as they're a profit based organisation :-(. I don't suppose there are any assessors lurking around that could help either calm my fears on this or otherwise?

Anyone been told by NIC they have to show a full rewire as their initial assesment peace?

Mikey

As Buzz says I doubt very much they'll require a re-wire & NVQ level 3, at a guess I would say the majority of NIC electricians dont have an NVQ.
I recon the level 3 they talk about is a technical certificate like the regs.

Thanks,

I can imagine as they're a profit based organisation :-(. I don't suppose there are any assessors lurking around that could help either calm my fears on this or otherwise?

In 1971 NICEIC registered as a charity organisation :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

Okay guys,

Update from the NIC.

The requirements for anyone who doesn't hold a craft qualification/apprenticeship, as of January have changed and a full rewire of a property, including a full day assesment (not a half day) is what is now required.

Guess my business will be taken to NAPIT then as a full rewire just isn't practical..

Mikey

As Buzz says I doubt very much they'll require a re-wire & NVQ level 3, at a guess I would say the majority of NIC electricians dont have an NVQ.
I recon the level 3 they talk about is a technical certificate like the regs.
Fairly sure it is the nvq level 3 or equivalent

Okay guys,

Update from the NIC.

The requirements for anyone who doesn't hold a craft qualification/apprenticeship, as of January have changed and a full rewire of a property, including a full day assesment (not a half day) is what is now required.

Guess my business will be taken to NAPIT then as a full rewire just isn't practical..

Mikey

Evening mate, just wondering how you got on with this in the end?

Did you go Napit?

Reply to NIC assessment major worries in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock