Discuss NICEIC first site assessment in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

momeebuilder

Can someone help me out please...?
Well I am a DIS scheme applicant with NICEIC and they require two example work.
1st I am replacing one pendant light in my house. (I will use Minor certificate)
2nd I am installing three 13A Sockets outlets in my home on existing ring circuit via fuse spur.
Do I have to use full installation certificate? as I am going to take feed from the existing ring circuit..for the fuse spur and then I will connect the three sockets outlet with fuse spur. If it is ok:confused: do correct me if i am wrong ...Also explain how to perform tests. Do I have to test whole existing ring circit or just what i am Installing....2.5mm single feed for spur then three scokets in ring circuit will be connected with the spur,, please Any help will be grateful.;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello mate,

im going through my 1st assessment next week as well

Sounds like your 2nd job won't count as you need to include 1 major job. Spurs off the main ring are also minor works. They want to see 1 major and 1 minor. A major piece of work would be a new circuit or consumer unit change.

You need to get a tester and do some tests and you need to be able to explain how you do each test as well show him how.

Sorry I don't want to be negative on you.

Hello there.

First of all can I start by saying that you will not pass your assessment if you only show the work you have mentioned to the inspector.

1. Anyone can change a light fitting in their house as long as it is not in a kitchen or bathroom as it is not deemed notifiable.
2. He would also have a problem with you spurring 3 sockets from one point of a ring circuit, regardless of the presence of a fused spur, because the maximum loading you could have on those 3 sockets would be 13amps which for 6 outlets (if double sockets) wouldn't be enough i.e a kettle and toaster used at the same time on any one of the three sockets would blow the fuse in the spur.
3. You should know how to test and inspect your own work already as he will want to see examples of finished jobs with test certificates - minor works, completions etc.

Hope this helps.

Well yes you are right,, I agree with you as I am not %100 in testing and certification. Especially when it’s come to alteration in existing wiring ...:)

I have just started my own work ,,, and NICEIC told me to do some kind of two jobs one major and one minor in my own house.. what do you rekon what to do?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey mate, didn't mean to sound shirty with my last message just trying to offer advice.

Ideally they would want to see something like a cu change or the addition of a couple of new circuits to an existing cu with full completion test certificates for the work you have done.

Also you could add an extra light or socket to an existing circuit and provide a minor works certificate for it.

As long as he can see you provide test certs and know how to test you should be fine.

hello folks im goin for me nic assesment soon, my major works is a complete new rewire at my house and my minor works is a switch spur off a ring final circuit supplying single socket outlet
i wos just wondering when i do me tests for the minor works do i do a full test on the ring circuit and take the R1+R2 from the new socket and the zs???

thanks

If you've added a spur to the ring main you will need to test the ring,
R1+R2.
you will also need to take the highest Zs reading on that circuit (Test at all
socket outlets & record the highest reading) :)

so i only record the zs frm the new socket if its the highest reading, aslo wot certs do i need, can i use the ones out the reg book or do i need nic ones???

thanks for tht, also i just thought, my minor works is on an old rewireble fuse board lol so on the test sheet where it says ads and record max zs, it want be ads tho will it if it an old board!

All work that you have inspected should be to the 17th edition, that means you will fail as you have no rcd protection for your new socket, it would be ok if you install an rcd spur before the new addition, but i stress you must make sure all bonding is in place before undertaking any work, first thing he asked to see on my assesment, the only way around it would be if you said the work was designed and planned to 16th (bit late for that imo) even then rcd and bonding would be required as it is a socket, phone up the technical helpline and ask there advice before he comes out, make sure everything is in place and correct, espensive revisit you don't need.

Well yes you are right,, I agree with you as I am not %100 in testing and certification

To be honest, by your own admittance you are not ready, the whole point of joining is to prove you are 100% (although a large percentage are not)

would advise more training, even if you just build a test rig and follow gn3.
its certainly not rocket science, and a few hours spent on study goes a long way, the less you appear to know the more difficult the questions your gonna get

mmm I agree with ezzekiel, you will also need to provide proof of public liability, health and safety policy statement, calibration certificate ( they also like to see self calabration checks on a monthly basis ), and complaints proceedure.

my minor works is on an old rewireble fuse board lol so on the test sheet where it says ads does this still comply even tho its an old board tht dont have rcds???

my minor works is on an old rewireble fuse board lol so on the test sheet where it says ads does this still comply even tho its an old board tht dont have rcds???

What minor works did you do?

If you have altered or extended ANY of the circuits on this CU then you should have installed an RCD on the circuit you have worked on.

If this IS the case, then i wouldnt use this to show your assessor.

Its possible he may fail you.

Reply to NICEIC first site assessment in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock