Discuss NICEIC REPORT - feedback on remedial works costs in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

duckie

-
Reaction score
NICEIC REPORT - feedback on remedial works costs

Hi all - I had an test done in advance of selling my 3 bed semi. The test report has four C2, nine C3 and two F1s.

I wanted to get your expert and unbiased feedback on these observations to help make sure I do the right remedial works - as well as getting an indication for prices. (I am in London South West and been quoted £950k for remedial works - see image)

I have attached photos of the report + some of the issues pointed out to give a better idea. Appreciate any feedback and tips - thanks a lot.

Attachments

• NICEIC REPORT - feedback on remedial works costs EICR faults - EletriciansForums.net
    EICR faults.jpg
    491.6 KB · Views: 125
  • NICEIC REPORT - feedback on remedial works costs IMG_20200923_110536 - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_20200923_110536.jpg
    481 KB · Views: 118
  • NICEIC REPORT - feedback on remedial works costs IMG_20210204_145943 - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_20210204_145943.jpg
    492.4 KB · Views: 105
  • NICEIC REPORT - feedback on remedial works costs IMG_20210204_195508 - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_20210204_195508.jpg
    501.5 KB · Views: 93
  • NICEIC REPORT - feedback on remedial works costs IMG_20210204_195524 - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_20210204_195524.jpg
    526.7 KB · Views: 91
  • NICEIC REPORT - feedback on remedial works costs IMG_20210204_195532 - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_20210204_195532.jpg
    416.3 KB · Views: 92
  • NICEIC REPORT - feedback on remedial works costs IMG_20210316_180533 - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_20210316_180533.jpg
    668.9 KB · Views: 94
  • NICEIC REPORT - feedback on remedial works costs IMG_20210316_180625 - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_20210316_180625.jpg
    678.1 KB · Views: 90
  • NICEIC REPORT - feedback on remedial works costs IMG_20210316_180644 - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_20210316_180644.jpg
    730.5 KB · Views: 98
  • NICEIC REPORT - feedback on remedial works costs remedial works quote - EletriciansForums.net
    remedial works quote.jpg
    297.1 KB · Views: 112
I hope that is £950 and not £950k !!!

From a quick look it seems a fair report as the C2 mentioned are reasonable (the lack of RCD on sockets, etc, can be C3, but if for circuits in a bathroom then C2). The report does not seem to mention the Wylex RCBO shoe-horned in to the CU, that is really a C2 itself due to the "modifications" involved!

Some background reading for you can be had here if you want detailed guidance:

I don't do this sort of work professionally so I can't comment on the price, but for a CU change and other remedial work in London it also seems fair. Anything below about £500 would be unlikely for a professional job (i.e. someone with the overheads of proper insurance, competent scheme membership fees, test equipment calibration, actually paying taxes, etc).

You might get other quotes/comments from folk on here but I don't see anything outrageous here.

Sorry, stand corrected, the "modification" is listed as point 5 and classed as C3 (but BPG#4 has C2):

Mixed branded switchgear components within a consumer unit or distribution board where:
  • there are no signs of thermal damage to component or associated connections
  • the enclosure/assembly hasn’t been modified to allow installation of the component
  • the component is securely fitted and all connections are adequate
  • correct manual operation of the component
  • direction of use of toggles/switches is the same as existing devices
Note: If any of the above criteria is not met, this would warrant a code C2 classification to be recorded.

I think it's a bit unprofessional quoting for a new 'fuseboard' , very old terminology and it should at least specify whether it'll be a dual RCD or RCBO unit , also whether Surge Protection is or isn't included. But the price looks fair to me if they're quoting for an RCBO board with Surge Protection.

£945 + VAT!
Living out here in the sticks you would be lucky to be able to charge £650 + VAT, perils of London rates I suppose.

Could explain why some people down here with holiday homes pay us to drive up for the day to do works at thier london homes, thought it was because we do a good job and they liked us, oh well.

I think it's a bit unprofessional quoting for a new 'fuseboard' , very old terminology and it should at least specify whether it'll be a dual RCD or RCBO unit , also whether Surge Protection is or isn't included. But the price looks fair to me if they're quoting for an RCBO board with Surge Protection.
Not sure who 'patrice' is too - french inspector perhaps?

From the photo it almost looks like the inner shell is not actually broken anyway, which would not make it a C2 - though the cost of a pattress is not going to make much difference either way...

£950 for a new consumer unit with new main bonding is a decent price. You are not obligated to change it just to sell the house. But its a nice thing to do so you can point out to prospective buyers you had it done.
I've had several people call and ask for EICR because they are selling, and were surprised when I pointed out it wasn't actually a legal requirement - presumably some estate agents are pushing this as a 'service' at a nice mark up...

That towel rail connection is the result of poor workmanship and whoever doctored that 40A rcbo into that consumer unit have destroyed it beyond repair and now the whole unit needs replacing.
Wylex stuff often has troubles fitting their own older boards, but that's almost impressive levels of bodgery

I've had several people call and ask for EICR because they are selling, and were surprised when I pointed out it wasn't actually a legal requirement - presumably some estate agents are pushing this as a 'service' at a nice mark up...
We are being asked more and more frequently for this - I think the mortgage lenders have cottened on to the fact that their 'surveyers' don't have a clue what they are talking about. (I'm buying another property to let at the moment, the surveyor said it is of a sandstone and brick construction - the whole road is made from limestone and brick - can't even tell the difference between 2 of the most common rock types)

The price sounds a little on the high side for Kent, but not massively so and may be quite normal for the area involved - assuming it was an SPD RCBO board then would not be an outrageous price I'd think - but it will be a balance as to whether it will be recouped in the sale (may depend on whether a buyer is looking to move directly in, or will be gutting and rewiring...)

There are probably cheaper ways to get a 'satisfactory' EICR if that is what you want. Though adding RCD protection for the bathroom circuits (if that is what the report is highlighting), might require a new consumer unit in any case as there are no officially compatible parts available for that consumer unit I believe.

We are being asked more and more frequently for this - I think the mortgage lenders have cottened on to the fact that their 'surveyers' don't have a clue what they are talking about. (I'm buying another property to let at the moment, the surveyor said it is of a sandstone and brick construction - the whole road is made from limestone and brick - can't even tell the difference between 2 of the most common rock types)
It makes a lot of sense as a buyer to have one done (or factor in the cost of a new consumer unit), but I doubt it is a deciding factor in many purchases, just a haggle point.

Of course if they'd been included in the Home Information Pack as planned, then maybe things would be different by now. It may be something that insurance companies or mortgage companies make more or less a 'requirement' sooner rather than later I suspect.

Most surveys I've seen just say "the electrical installation should be checked by a qualified person" to cover themselves...

Noticed the quote states "refit", rather than supply and fit, which seemed odd.
Seen this done loads of times with these decorative metal flat switches, they often don’t have a proper flex out point, so the sparks just squashed the flex under that plate or notches some of the plaster out to fish the flex behind the plate.
bear rough but seen this a hundred times or more

Reply to NICEIC REPORT - feedback on remedial works costs in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock