Discuss No bonding with RCD in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

Penfield

Apparently if the pipe work in a property achieves certain resistance there is no need for bonding if a RCD is used. What is the figure that needs to be achieved? I have been looking through the regs this morning but haven't found it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apparently if the pipe work in a property achieves certain resistance there is no need for bonding if a RCD is used. What is the figure that needs to be achieved? I have been looking through the regs this morning but haven't found it.

If im correct in saying, 7666 Ohms is the maximum resistance allowed. I did: V/I = R 230/0.030 (30mA) = 7666 Ohms.
So long as the resistance is below this reading, the RCD should trip according to plan. Thats why we use them on TT systems a lot, because of the high resistance readings that could occur, and the 7666 ohms is lets face it - pretty high....

Other comments would also be appreciated so i know if im on the right lines.

Hope this helps anway.
Dan...

I thought the level given in the regs was 1667 ohms? Can't check as it's beneath a pile of stuff at the moment and I'm not brave enough to start disturbing it.

If I recall rightly, a voltage of maximum 50V with a current of 30mA is considered to be below shock levels, and so this should be the maximum value permitted when an RCD is used. R=V/I would then be: R=50/0.03, so R=1667 if rounded up from 1666.666-recurring. If the resistance was higher, a higher voltage would be required and as such the 50V limit is exceeded and values are above those deemed enough to cause a shock.

Last edited by a moderator:
Correct Chappers, 50V is the "safe touch voltage" hence the calc R=50/0.03=1667ohms. which is maximum permissable Ra or (Ze) for a "TT" system although 200ohms is generally regarded as the maximum acceptable before you need to do something about it.

Cheers.

Thanks, forgive me if this is a daft question but all the replies so far seem to be concerning a TT installation. Would the same formula apply to TNS etc? I just want to make sure I fully understand.

Paul

Hey mate.

That calc is for the maximum permissible Ze with the "safe touch voltage" in order to hit your disconnection times for 30mA RCD's

With respect to TN-C-S it's max Ze of - 0.35ohms
TN-S it's max Ze of - 0.80ohms

Cheers.

Reply to No bonding with RCD in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net