Discuss No enough space in the meter box in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm looking for some advice.

I have started wiring up an extension which consist of cooking circuits, 2 ring and 2 light circuits.

I will be installing 16mm SWA as a supply from existing meter box to the new consumer unit. Its about 7-8 meters run.

There isn't much space in the meter box (picture provided) to connect SWA and fit overcurrent protection. Only just enough space for Henley block to split supply. I'm thinking to get 3 module enclosure.

And fit 100A isolator with 63A mcb to provide overcurrent protection for extension supply.

Now I'm thinking to get ip rated enclosure

It will be fitted on top of existing meter box and inside new enclosure i have enough space for 3 module unit and SWA connection.

What would normally you have done in this case where not enough space in the meter box?

And would you gland SWA directly into outside enclosure or some adaptable box?

Much appreciated

Attachments

• trello1433157524694055447.jpg
    435.9 KB · Views: 89
There in no spare ways in existing CU. Now client wants supply to the shed in the future. So I'm leaning for option of getting another meter box where I will have enough space for the extension's isolator with fuse/mcb and same thing for the shed supply in the future

There in no spare ways in existing CU. Now client wants supply to the shed in the future. So I'm leaning for option of getting another meter box where I will have enough space for the extension's isolator with fuse/mcb and same thing for the shed supply in the future t
That would be the best option then trying to put a python in a box.

I queried something with the tech team at the niceic regards fitting a din rail enclosure in a tight spot for an ev charger.
They said it was acceptable to use a double pole mcb in a small din rail enclosure. As it meets the requirements of bs7671 for isolation and switching.
You can fit a henley block and din rail enclosure and 2 core 16mm swa in there if you plan it well. Maybe even 16 t and e then onto enclosure directly below the meter cabinet?

Its a ssen cut out based on photo so you are allowed to pull the fuse if in a scheme.

so it's £500+ a year to cut a seal. the seal fairy just wants a kiss and a hug. i know what i prefer. ?

It's about 3-4m away, will check tomorrow
Thank you
I queried something with the tech team at the niceic regards fitting a din rail enclosure in a tight spot for an ev charger.
They said it was acceptable to use a double pole mcb in a small din rail enclosure. As it meets the requirements of bs7671 for isolation and switching.
You can fit a henley block and din rail enclosure and 2 core 16mm swa in there if you plan it well. Maybe even 16 t and e then onto enclosure directly below the meter cabinet?

Its a ssen cut out based on photo so you are allowed to pull the fuse if in a scheme.
Thanks for the informative response. I'm thinking to get 3 core SWA 16mm into the new meter box and make off at small cu inside (2 or 3 module one). There isn't much choice of DP MCBs, only one I've found is 63A Double Pole 10kA B Curve MCB - https://www.cef.co.uk/catalogue/products/1521611-63a-dp-10ka-type-b-mcb

Meter tails from Henley block (from existing meter box) up to the new meter box and straight into small cu

This is a lit of hard work for four new circuits. Don't you have the option of upgrading the existing CU.

Reply to No enough space in the meter box in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net