Discuss No lights in two upstairs room in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Customer says the lights in two upstairs rooms have stopped working. I’ve checked the wall switches in both rooms and there is power to both but both wires in switch are showing current, operating the switches makes no difference? The rooms both have downlights so no ceiling roses to check, my first thought was a previous light in the circuit has been wired wrong but the RCBO has not tripped on this circuit

Or a dodgy connection at a switch or lighting point!!
Customer says no work done elsewhere, the lights are wired up whereby the switches operate the lights via a switch wire connected to the lights and not wired whereby the power goes through the switch. Why would I detect current on both sides of the switch wire when I’ve disconnected the switch

Customer says no work done elsewhere, the lights are wired up whereby the switches operate the lights via a switch wire connected to the lights and not wired whereby the power goes through the switch. Why would I detect current on both sides of the switch wire when I’ve disconnected the switch
Do you mean "current" or actually voltage? If voltage, a broken neutral somewhere perhaps?
I only had a short amount of time on Friday to check , back there tomorrow to investigate further. If there was a problem with the neutral wouldn’t this trip the RCBO?
[automerge]1570995426[/automerge]
What's led up to the lights not working? Any work done elsewhere?
Customer said no work done elsewhere, they just stopped working
[automerge]1570995559[/automerge]
Someone put a new light up, miswired at a prior light?
That’s what I thought at first but customer said nothing done. Both wires of switch wire showing as live at switch end, with switch disconnected

Last edited:
That’s going to be my next step,dead testing. Just puzzled as to why I detect both wires at switch as live when not connected to switch

What are you using to test it and prove it is live?

That’s going to be my next step,dead testing. Just puzzled as to why I detect both wires at switch as live when not connected to switch

There is likely to be a broken neutral somewhere in the circuit.
So obviously with any load connected in the circuit the neutral conductor downstream of the break will be at line voltage as it is connected to the line conductor via the load.

This is assuming you have confirmed this is not a phantom voltage you have measured?

Reply to No lights in two upstairs room in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock