Discuss No MET at TN-S supply? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Been asked to carry out a fuseboard change and various other remedial works in a house that is to be rented out.
Everything seems pretty straight forward however there is not a main earth terminal to speak of, just 3 earth cables conected to the SWA - see pic. Is this a common occurrence in older properties? The earth cables are for 2 small fuseboard supplies and one for the gas bonding. Just wondering what people's opinions are on this and how to rectify? Would it be the suppliers job to fit an earth terminal or could I just fit a new cable to the SWA to supply an earth block. I have my doubts over the latter. Any info greatly appreciated.

View attachment 35818

View attachment 35819

That isn't a SWA it's an old lead sheathed cable !! You shouldn't touch it as the earth strap isn't the right way of connecting but contact the DNO who will hopefully fit the correct clamp, may help if you fit a SP block and short length of 16mm earth ready for them.

That isn't a SWA it's an old lead sheathed cable !! You shouldn't touch it as the earth strap isn't the right way of connecting but contact the DNO who will hopefully fit the correct clamp, may help if you fit a SP block and short length of 16mm earth ready for them.
Thanks, I realise it's not actually an SWA, just easier to explain! Appreciate the advice.

Looks like you may be able to upgrade to PME if the customer will stand the cost. Probably the best way forward imo.

not if TN-S gives a nice low Ze. i had one last week was 0.12 . had a proper connection (soldered) to the lead though. i'd replace that 951 clamp with the correct type and fit a MET.

Yeh true and all, its just that it is right there with that new cutout. 0.12 is good though for that kind of "earth" By the way @dannyG85 I never touch the supply cable at that point it is well known(?) they do like to short out and explode that is defo for the DNO every time.

Reply to No MET at TN-S supply? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net