Discuss Noted changes to how we recycle tubes etc ... be aware!!!! in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Darkwood

Staff member
Mod
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
If your not aware the only recycling plant for tubes was built at a cost of 25million and is owned by CEF, it is not turning a profit as such so new legislation has been introduced, now as it stood before if you brought tubes back you just got charged X pence per tube returned regardless .... - you will now be charged £10 and have to have a producers report filled out which you the producer of the waste to the wholesalers got it from what premises and list what and quantity etc...The exception is if you return CEF own brands of tubes so any like Thorn, Osram etc will have this charge.

Now regardless of you bringing back 1 tube or 500 the £10 charge is applicable, also when these reports are reviewed they will check you have a current waste disposal licence.

The aim here is to penalise any big companies that are making excessive waste by going into investigate them, so if your working for a big company and its got a lot of waste due to old technology etc then they may be asked to find means to reduce it.

This also spreads out into the public arena - which means from 2015 you will be charged to take your items to the council skip yards.

On a tangent all plastic bags will cost you from Jan 2015 too be it Tescos or your papershop .....

I can see a sharp rise in fly-tipping and tubes been stored at factories and collected in bulk to counter the charge....

I don't work for myself. However, how many self employed electricians have a waste disposal license just out of interest? I'd speculate that a lot don't and who really would want to pay for one? Seems like barrier that is just going to promote fly tipping and the like as you said.

noticed on the ivoice from edmunsons we have to pay a disposal charge even if we dont dispose of any too used a reconised container to return some and were asked if we has a hazardous waste carrying licence too.

seems if servicable they are ok if not they are hazardous ???

we have stored the last lot too hoping someone will pick up (just replaced about 25 T12 8foot tubes/fittings)

The 5p per carrier bag charge already exsists in the north of ireland and 22c in the republic.

As regards to fluorescents, i work in a factory and we store all our failed fluorescents in coffins and are collected by a registered waste disposal company who give us a certificate of compliance, we have been doing this for years because i think it helps us comply with iso 14001.

What if you are carrying tubes to the wholesaler and they all accidently dropped and does it work the same when buying tubes from screwfix/B&Q etc..?

Reply to Noted changes to how we recycle tubes etc ... be aware!!!! in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net