Discuss NVQ portfolio modules, collecting them yourself as a one man band in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hope someone can throw some light on this. I completed C&G 2360 pt's (1) & 2 in 2002 but never got round to completing a NVQ3 and so never had a JIB gold card (I had a senior trainee JIB card which expired long ago). Anyhow now im thinking of getting my NVQ3 via a online provider.

If i was to get part p and do the one man band thing, could i collect evidence from that work and sign it off myself ? I know a few NVQ3 modules would require work other than domestic and can get them sorted as and when; could i do the bulk of the portfolio via domestic part p stuff ?

Has anyone completed their NVQ3 in this way ?

Thanks

Last edited:
I did start the NVQ3 with quickstep years ago but never finished it as I moved abroad. As luck would have it ive just come across the Mature Candidate Assesment, assesment on the JIB website; will give them a call tomorrow to see if im eligible.

I'm also self employed. When I did mine I asked a guy I subcontract to if he would act as my supervisor if I used the jobs that I was doing for him which he agreed to.

I did my NVQ online with XS Training and can recommend them.

As Lee says, you need 3 types of cable, containment etc. You also need evidence of wearing PPE.

Just started my nvq and I've been asked to provide evidence of around 5 types of cable and 5 containment maybe my place is going a bit over kill by the sounds of it if you need exacts I can check the portfolio for it .

Just started my nvq and I've been asked to provide evidence of around 5 types of cable and 5 containment maybe my place is going a bit over kill by the sounds of it if you need exacts I can check the portfolio for it .

Good luck on the nvq element mate....
Got this one heading my way soon, got my 2365 lvl 3 certificates today and my 17th edition woop woop... next it's the employer/sponsor but struggling with that one in my small dead end town.

Got my challenging ecs health and stupidity test this week too not bad test centre was within 40 miles

I did mature candidate eal scheme through quickstep...I worked on a hospital installation for 3 months... I was lucky Got 7 types of cable, singles, fp, coax, belden, data t&e and sy and 7 types of containment stell conduit, trunking, ladder, copex, dado, basket and tray... I took a videos of me doing the works and screenshotted etc... I payed for the assessor built( most expensive) and just had to email the pictures to him... I was completed within 2 months of me ringing after just 2 visits from assessor. I also payed in monthly installments... Well worth the money. Under £2000 for nvq and am2... A months wage once u have them completed is a good way of looking at it.

I did mature candidate eal scheme through quickstep...I worked on a hospital installation for 3 months... I was lucky Got 7 types of cable, singles, fp, coax, belden, data t&e and sy and 7 types of containment stell conduit, trunking, ladder, copex, dado, basket and tray... I took a videos of me doing the works and screenshotted etc... I payed for the assessor built( most expensive) and just had to email the pictures to him... I was completed within 2 months of me ringing after just 2 visits from assessor. I also payed in monthly installments... Well worth the money. Under £2000 for nvq and am2... A months wage once u have them completed is a good way of looking at it.

Yeah its well possible, just need to find an employer whos got varied work load; 2 months thou thats well quick, you must be beaming !

Like i said id already taken photos etc before id rang them as i new that the varied work load was a good opportunity to fly through it... I rang quickstep a couple of weeks before i was leaving the site so they could visit the site and my supervisor... He said all the evidence here was enough to complete. I emailed him my photos booked my am2 and completed that... Had one more visit to do testing for an hour and that was it... It would have been quicker but he went on holiday and he was the only assessor covering my area...

I am in the same boat, I work on my own and find it difficult to finish the NVQ I have finished about 2/3rds of it and just don't have the time or patience to complete it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Antastic welcome to the forum. I've edited your above post, you cant ask for things like that on the forum I'mm afraid.

Check with your NVQ provider and ask if they are set up to do Skpe assessments. You book a time and date for an internet call, set up your phone on a stand and you work by yourself with the assessor watching you and asking to explain things as you go. May be an option for a lot of people but it is at an extra cost.

Antastic welcome to the forum. I've edited your above post, you cant ask for things like that on the forum I'mm afraid.

Check with your NVQ provider and ask if they are set up to do Skpe assessments. You book a time and date for an internet call, set up your phone on a stand and you work by yourself with the assessor watching you and asking to explain things as you go. May be an option for a lot of people but it is at an extra cost.

okay no problem, worth a try though! I'm losing the will to live with the NVQ.

What parts are you stuck with?

Paul its not a particular part its just the whole thing in general, ive been doing it for over 2 years just I'm very slow at theory type work and I only have one month to complete the whole lot or I lose my £660.00 I paid :dizzy2:

I am in the same boat, I work on my own and find it difficult to finish the NVQ I have finished about 2/3rds of it and just don't have the time or patience to complete it.

I cant see how you could WIN here, if you dont have TIME then you dont have time.
The only way to sort it is a BLACK HOLE or TIME MACHINE, as both i am told from Movies will rip you apart lets put that out.
Without time it dosnt matting about Patience to Complete it.
£660 is a good Drive for me, if nothing is gotten out of it. it is £660 pee up the wall. And the only way to save it being wasted and flashed away is to WORK and FIND TIME. Bit shocked you got as far as you have done, not to just finished the last 10m of a long run, but its up to you at the end of the day. Can always pay another £1000-2000 maybe a lot more by the time you get around to it!

I cant see how you could WIN here, if you dont have TIME then you dont have time.
The only way to sort it is a BLACK HOLE or TIME MACHINE, as both i am told from Movies will rip you apart lets put that out.
Without time it dosnt matting about Patience to Complete it.
£660 is a good Drive for me, if nothing is gotten out of it. it is £660 pee up the wall. And the only way to save it being wasted and flashed away is to WORK and FIND TIME. Bit shocked you got as far as you have done, not to just finished the last 10m of a long run, but its up to you at the end of the day. Can always pay another £1000-2000 maybe a lot more by the time you get around to it!

Thanks that's a big help.

Do you understand what i was trying to do.. GUILT TRIP YOU in to FINISHING WHAT YOU STARTED

If you want someone to EVEREY THING FOR YOu then Thats a Different MATTER.

if you dont have Time to do it.. you cant do it.. End of...
YOU HAVE to DO THINGS for yourself (is that a DAFT thing to say)

You can take a horse to water, but you cant force it to drink.
But i might be able to hold its head under water till it takes some in.

Reply to NVQ portfolio modules, collecting them yourself as a one man band in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock