Discuss Old boy needs advice on which route to follow in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello folks
I'm just looking for some advise regarding career route path.
I'm 53, been a sparky all my life.
I have a Maintenance gold card, 18th regs and 2391 52 amongst other add on qualifications.
I'm currently in a fairly well paid role as a full-time electrical test engineer in the industrial sector.
I've always wanted to keep my options open and wondered if a step across to the domestic sector would be the right move.
An opportunity has arisen for a position into domestic and wondered what any of you learned people in my position would do hypothetically.
It's a bit of an open ended question I realise that but just wanted to put it out there into the sparky world.
Thanks in advance for the help.

At 53 and in a well paid job I possibly wouldn't jump over into house bashing unless the job offer was a very high paid one.
I have been doing a small rewire this week + some garden lighting and my knees are killing me. I even had to big a small trench on Tuesday as my labourer let me down and I spend last ( til 11 pm ) night plastering chases as ideally I want to finish today ( which won't happen )
Domestic is okay if its 'all you know' kind of thing

At 53 and in a well paid job I possibly wouldn't jump over into house bashing unless the job offer was a very high paid one.
I have been doing a small rewire this week + some garden lighting and my knees are killing me. I even had to big a small trench on Tuesday as my labourer let me down and I spend last ( til 11 pm ) night plastering chases as ideally I want to finish today ( which won't happen )
Domestic is okay if its 'all you know' kind of thing
Thanks for getting back to me and for the advice mate.
I had an inkling that might be the case but to hear it from someone in the field has more than likely cemented the idea.
Thanks again mate, much appreciated

Hello folks
I'm just looking for some advise regarding career route path.
I'm 53, been a sparky all my life.
I have a Maintenance gold card, 18th regs and 2391 52 amongst other add on qualifications.
I'm currently in a fairly well paid role as a full-time electrical test engineer in the industrial sector.
I've always wanted to keep my options open and wondered if a step across to the domestic sector would be the right move.
An opportunity has arisen for a position into domestic and wondered what any of you learned people in my position would do hypothetically.
It's a bit of an open ended question I realise that but just wanted to put it out there into the sparky world.
Thanks in advance for the help.
dont do domestic honestly dont do it

Tell you what I will swap skill sets with you. I think you are in a skilled and preferred area doing what you are doing. You would definitely regret such a change and pine for the good old days and wonder what the hell made you think domestic was better than what you are doing. I suspect quite a lot on here would take your job like a shot if they are doing domestic especially in social housing, it's a nightmare. Do not do it, don't even think about it.

Tell you what I will swap skill sets with you. I think you are in a skilled and preferred area doing what you are doing. You would definitely regret such a change and pine for the good old days and wonder what the hell made you think domestic was better than what you are doing. I suspect quite a lot on here would take your job like a shot if they are doing domestic especially in social housing, it's a nightmare. Do not do it, don't even think about it.
Point taken on board, thanks for your input, my thoughts (I should definitely stop having them this late in life) have been put to bed 🍻

Point taken on board, thanks for your input, my thoughts (I should definitely stop having them this late in life) have been put to bed 🍻
have been put to bed 🍻

alongside with crowbars, wall chasers, bolster chisels and lump hammers.

If the money is the same, commercial/industrial is a much physically easier gig. Domestic is a lot of climbing in lofts, carrying stuff up stairs, dealing with customers who're often not in or you have to plan your schedule round theirs, there can be payment issues, material supply issues, etc etc.

If you're going to be your own boss, then domestic pays much better than any commercial PAYE or CIS position, but if it's like for like working for someone else and being paid a wage, or unless you're doing mostly testing and not installation, it'd have to be much higher for me to switch from industrial to domestic. A domestic EICR gig might be a good option.

I used to work in commercial and now i work in domestic. Although going on site in some hangar in the dark in -3 December isn't very nice, i do pine for being able to just go up in a lifter to attach a through-box when i'm in a loft rolling around in insulation in 35 degree summer heat.

Reply to Old boy needs advice on which route to follow in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net