Discuss Opinion on these pics please in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

To be honest it does look a mess and like others have already stated it needs to be tidied up.
To be fair with all the other trades around, your husband was probably under stress or perhaps he has been stressed for quite a while and you may not have noticed, sometimes the ones closest don't see the signs of stress. He may have taken his eye of the ball so to speak.
Obviously the fault needs to rectified and perhaps it was some occurance after your husand's work that caused it, I doubt anyone will owned up to that so it's a case of returning and investigating the installation or passing it on to a trusted friend who could maybe assist in putting it right.
Personally speaking I would return and carry out inspection/testing of the installation and try to win this customer back on side, one unhappy customer can make your business go downhill fast if they start to spread tales of your workmanship.

Under the circumstances though, it may be better if your husband is under a great strain at present and to save yourself getting really stressed about the situation to refund or someone you know and trust to act on your behalf to put matters right.

Could be the black of a 3 core swa being used as an earth, but I don’t see the corresponding grey on the N bar
Yeah - I also wondered if it is simply a cable extension without tape - anything is possible! But it caught my eye, and whoever wired it originally clearly did have earth tape.

To be fair to all concerned I think a refund is in order. This is clearly a difficult time for you both and sometimes it's hard to see the woods for the trees. I would say that if the price was for the consumer unit supply and fit then the customer should pay for the materials and not the labour. So in the first instance in your shoes I would suggest this to the customer. As to the fault, no doubt someone will come along and find it and that will cost xyz, I would offer to cover the cost of this for the customer. This may amount to more than £500 refund. Everything is negotiable and of course you would wish to at least attain an equitable solution for all parties. So either refund the £500 or take the alternative route as above. Of course it may be as suggested above, one of the trades has unwittingly drilled a cable or something and if this is shown to be the case then reserve the right to insist the guilty party (so to speak) pays for the rectification of the fault. Believe me, I think most sparks here have had a bad day with things like this and these things do happen try not to take it too hard.

To be fair to the original electrician, do you actually believe that he would have left the CU in that condition, I think someone has been playing around with it since he did the original installation and that is what I would be saying to the client, together with "there were no faults on any circuit when I left site on (insert date important as it establish's a time line of first visit) therefore I would suggest that some damage has been done to the installation since I completed my work on the first visit, I would be only to pleased to return to try and solve this problem, my hour rate is £....

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but gives some good learning points. Best to test the installation before conducting any works to see if you will inherit a problem. Best done with the customer and other trades out of the way and not interfering. With a change of consumer unit you may not have the length of cables required to make it look good or follow the convention of highest load next to the incomer but have to go your best when under the scrutiny of other trades and the unqualified internet experts. Testing upon completion also helps to defend your position especially as other trades continue to work on site. It is possible some disturbance may have occurred unbeknown to them or others. Due to the delay of four days before a problem is noticed it could be weather related - outdoor lighting? Could it be component failure, even if new equipment? Could be the neutral of one circuit being returned to the other neutral bar - split load board but has been known. Interference, additional circuits or modifications since departing site? Some things to consider.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but gives some good learning points. Best to test the installation before conducting any works to see if you will inherit a problem. Best done with the customer and other trades out of the way and not interfering. With a change of consumer unit you may not have the length of cables required to make it look good or follow the convention of highest load next to the incomer but have to go your best when under the scrutiny of other trades and the unqualified internet experts. Testing upon completion also helps to defend your position especially as other trades continue to work on site. It is possible some disturbance may have occurred unbeknown to them or others. Due to the delay of four days before a problem is noticed it could be weather related - outdoor lighting? Could it be component failure, even if new equipment? Could be the neutral of one circuit being returned to the other neutral bar - split load board but has been known. Interference, additional circuits or modifications since departing site? Some things to consider.
this is why it's imperetive to take pics of your finished work. THEN IF ANYTHING HAS BEEN DONE (BY CUSTOMERS OR OTHER CONTRACTORS/TRADES), you have proof of how youleftit.

Something isn't ringing true with the OP for me, there is no clear reason why the customer wants a refund, the language also seems a bit strange my wife would talk to me not confront me,
Those points aside we are told the RCD tripped 4 days after install and keeps tripping but with no indication of the frequency or timing of the continual trips
Another electrician has apparently unsuccessfully looked for the fault after the OP's husband so does this fault really exist on the fixed wiring as 2 electricians haven't found any reason that would cause the reported issue
I think until the electrician involved can post his account of events leading up to the customer requesting a refund it is difficult to make a judgement

Reply to Opinion on these pics please in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock