Discuss options for workshop supply in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
just wondering what people would think would be the best way of doing this.

i have got to provide a supply up to a workshop in a garden (about 80 mtrs from the house). it will run underground all the way and then in the subfloor of the house that is currently being worked on all the way to the db.

What will the cable be supplying in the workshop, a single light and a double socket or a lathe and other heavy duty equipment?

The consumer is a fan of landrovers and that will be his garage for it. so there will be possibility of welders, grinders, lathes etc
i was thinking of putting the supply on 40amp mcb

80 metres is a substantial distance , will require a proper calculation imo

You could be looking at a 40a c curve mcb to prevent tripping

Tns?
I would ask for a duct to be laid from the house to the garage with a rope inside.
Pull through a 3 core 16mm swa and also a cat6 cable..

Due to the location heating may be a fair consideration of the loading , but I can just see a nice pot bellied stove. :)

Definitely go for swa. Make sure you get his full load requirements though, 25mm may be required

It seems like he is going to be using this garage on a semi-professional bases/serious hobby/past time. Full due consideration needed especially if he has other enthusiast mates helping also using equipment plus the possibility of some heating/water heater. How big is this workshop?

I'd also be leaning to a fuse at the supply end. Any other services in this workshop such as water, gas etc?

It may be worth the customer enquiring of the DNO the cost of providing a separate supply to the garage. Depending on routing on their side, this may be relatively inexpensive and would give greater scope.

thanks everyone.
the garage/shed will be around 9mtrs x 10 mtrs.
their will most likely be water but no gas.
i will look into the possibility of getting a separate supply in

As you haven't provided a design current it is easier to use In. This also means you are covered for volt drop right up to the point of overload of the distribution circuit. 32A you could go 10mm, if you go 16mm, you can do 50A. Using In instead of Ib and youve got a VD just under 5% for both.

Check Ze. You have TNS so could be up to 0.8 ohms already....

C40 60890 max Zs is 0.54

R1+R2 for the 10mm is 0.35

R1+R2 for the 16mm is 0.23

Reply to options for workshop supply in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock