Discuss Outside light visible wires in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

danny30

DIY
Reaction score
Hi Guys, please can you give me some advice. We are having a rewire and the electrician has installed an outside light with the wire sticking out as shown in the image below. He said that there is no way to have the wire inside as it comes from the floor which is below the fitting. Is that normal wiring for an outside light and should the wire be exposed like that?Outside light visible wires IMG_20200518_120558703_HDR - EletriciansForums.net

Last edited by a moderator:
The flex to the light will be fine outside like that. But he could have made a bit more effort to tidy up the cable run a bit.

It looks like he's put a joint box below to allow for easy access to swap the light over in a few years time which is good.

Without knowing the layout and construction of the building I can't really comment on how it should have been run internally but a bit of 20mm conduit would tidy that up.

as above ^^^. alternative woud be chasing out plaster inside. even so, on the outside, cable should be clipped, or run up in white conduit to a box by the light. as it is it's RAF.

It just looks wrong for wire exposed outside like that when having a rewire. My wife is very upset so we've asked for it to be taken down. Any idea how much it would cost to get it done property without exposed wires?

Are you ground floor only?

Putting the cable in to white conduit pipe would certainly make it look neater (as a while light might do as well!) but to fully hide the cable it would either have to enter on the floor above, or have a channel cut in the wall and then it covered over with matching harling and painted (which is outside of most sparks' area of work).

As above ..chasing out patching up = much more work + painting over the whole front to blend in or watch how Bob Ross blends it with happy oils on TV!!

White Light, white wiska box, conduit with stuffing gland at top would blend better. Probably had to put light high to get ground coverage...otherwise nothing wrong with it.

looking at that layout, i would have chased up inside within 150mm of the corner ( safe zone), then drilled through and fitted the floodlight close to the exit wound. (about 18"" - 24" to the right as you look at the building from outside) with the adaptable box covering the exit wound. if you didn't want chasing at the present, a short length od 16mm mini trunking up the corner until when and if you were redecorating.

Many fittings come pre-terminated with a short length of flex, which invariably will always show (a bit)!
Perhaps a different type of light fitting?

Even Twin and Earth is waterproof but if it's not taut it's liable to hit the wall in high wind and damage and then just paint over it probably look nice than conduit.

Even Twin and Earth is waterproof but if it's not taut it's liable to hit the wall in high wind and damage and then just paint over it probably look nice than conduit.
The outer sheath of a pvc cable is not waterproof but water resistant. Water is a solvent and given the correct time and conditions will penetrate pvc.

If they had made the effort of clipping cable in a neat straight run it would not look so bad, just lazy running at angle as it is.

The outer sheath of a pvc cable is not waterproof but water resistant. Water is a solvent and given the correct time and conditions will penetrate pvc.
Surprised because even SWA sheath is PVC isn't it, although T&E not recommended outside could make a interesting test just leave some in a bucket and take measurements now and then.

Had some old White T&E outside for ages although partly sheltered.

Surprised because even SWA sheath is PVC isn't it, although T&E not recommended outside could make a interesting test just leave some in a bucket and take measurements now and then.

Had some old White T&E outside for ages although partly sheltered.
most SWA used these days is XLPE. (polyethylene) as well as having a higher heat rating, it's water resistance is better than PVC.

My guess is the black flex came on the light and the grey box is a socket.
the sparks has possibly just whacked a 13a plugtop on the end of the flex and plugged it in.
not the worst idea in the world as the next guy can easily swap the light if it stops working.
as for flex outside I don’t have an issue with it, could have dressed it straight straight up with 2 clips thou..

I stand corrected. :(
stiil the sheath must have good water ingress protection when buried in damp soil for years without any penetration. any time water gets in, it's usually at the glands ( or if a bodge job, where it's not even glanded).

Reply to Outside light visible wires in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock