Discuss Outside lights advice please in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

F

FootmanJ

I had 2 outside lights installed by an electrician. The lights are PIR with daylight adjustment setting and a 4-terminal block (L,N,E,L1). He connected them with 3-core LNE in series, with an additional wire connecting L to L1 in each light. He then threw away the instruction book so I have nothing from the manufacturers to refer to!

All this wiring managed to do was leave the lights permanently on. I therefore did some research online and found out that there was no need for the extra connecting wire L to L1. I removed this on each unit and the PIR worked for each lamp separately (but not the daylight adjustment) . I tested this with just one bulb I moved between each lamp as the other bulb had broken.

Unfortunately, when I got a replacement bulb and put a bulb in both lamps, the solution no longer worked and the lamps stopped working (I presume the fuse had blown in the isolating switch - I have yet to check this).

Can anyone advise how these 2 lamps should be connected for them to work fully i.e. independently of each other and when they sense movement at nighttime.

I would be grateful for any assistance.

Jonathan

You say these lights are on PIR's. Is any switching involved at all - i.e an override switch so you can manually switch on/off?

OK, they should be wired with a LNE to first light and then taking a cable from LNE terminals to second light. This will then let the PIR work. If it isn't working then you need to check you got 230v at the lights. If so then the PIR/Light may well be on the blink. You would only use the 3rd core for override switching

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for you reply. There is one isolating switch before the 1st PIR light, which is connected LNE. The second PIR light is then LNE from the first.

Based on your advice, it looks like I will have to replace the lights, but it is very stange that both of them dont work peoperly - thats why I thought is was all down to how they were wired.

Reply to Outside lights advice please in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock