Discuss Part F building control notification in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I regularly install inline fans in replacement of ceiling fans. I'm unclear if the intention is for all of this to apply to upgrades or only more major installations. Most fans include a low and a high power mode and the function will be affected by the installation method.

I was speaking to an airflow rep the other day and he claimed their fans are tested with 2m of straight duct but thought others didn't.

I regularly install inline fans in replacement of ceiling fans. I'm unclear if the intention is for all of this to apply to upgrades or only more major installations. Most fans include a low and a high power mode and the function will be affected by the installation method.

I was speaking to an airflow rep the other day and he claimed their fans are tested with 2m of straight duct but thought others didn't.
I suspect this is only for new builds, extensions etc. I can't see it being applied to replacements or upgrades in existing buildings.

I just think it’s dirty and unhygienic venting a fan into a water supply.

There shouldn’t need to be a reg against it, as common sense should tell you it’s a no no.

My take on all of this, is that it is a shower fan and the condensed water that goes into the water tank is probably less contaminated than the water supply into it, we have private water main over a mile long, run in metal barrel and whenever the water board work on the six inch fire main beyond our supply the water is very brown for some time and I have to clean all the cistern inlet valves, such is living in a rural environment.

My take on all of this, is that it is a shower fan and the condensed water that goes into the water tank is probably less contaminated than the water supply into it, we have private water main over a mile long, run in metal barrel and whenever the water board work on the six inch fire main beyond our supply the water is very brown for some time and I have to clean all the cistern inlet valves, such is living in a rural environment.
And because of this, you think It's OK to add to it ?.

Bit of a write up.

It's the kind of thing you might do for a few days while waiting for the system to be finished, but as a 'temporary' solution for three or four cold/cool months it is definitely not sounding like a good idea.

The fan shifts air (which happens to have water vapour in it), it shifts massively more air than it does water. The tank upstairs can't be sealed because the air needs to get out somehow, if the air gets out then so will the moisture that it's carrying. When that warm moist air gets into your attic, the water will condense out on the coldest surfaces, making them damp.
In cold weather I suspect a fair bit of the moisture in the extracted air will actually condense out in the tank, but a lot will pass into the attic with the air, how much of a problem that causes will depend on the temperature of the attic, the volume of the attic and crucially how well ventilated it is. I suspect in most situations no lasting damage is likely to result after a few months but if you store anything of value up there that isn't sealed then the dampness could affect it (mould, corrosion), in an old house with old timbers then dampness might revive old long forgotten fungal spores or encourage wood eating beetle to settle or spread in the spring (they like timbers in a certain moisture range), who knows.

Anyone who has run a dehumidifier in a bathroom will know there can be several pints of water in that air, so even if the tank condenses out 75% of the moisture (very optimistically) there's plenty left; you wouldn't by choice chuck half a pint of water (probably more) into your attic every time you have a bath or shower.

Wow that really is clutching at straws to prove you premies that I am doing something wrong, as you do to most of my posts, even at one point you put a follow tag on my posts so you could comment even more, then denied it, the proof of the pudding so to speak is that its been in this configuration for over thirty years and no roof problems have ever been encountered, no mound, no condensation and no infestation, can you say the same for something you have installed has lasted that long without a problem?

Perhaps only Part F Approved Contractors should be allowed to Install fans ?
I am sure one of the Scams would love to start charhing its DI an extra few hundred quid a year to add PartF to their PartP DI status

Reply to Part F building control notification in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net