Discuss Part P notifiable question in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hello. When I had my Consumer Unit replaced, one circuit was found to only serve a blanked off socket, possibly for use by a stair lift that was never installed. The electrician connected it to a 16A MCB and marked it on the EIC as unknown. I now need a socket about 2m away from the CU. If I splice it into the 'unknown' circuit as a fused spur (not touching the wiring in the CU), I presume it is not part P notifiable? But what if I don't reconnect the old circuit so I just have the spur - has it now become a new circuit? What if I don't bother with the FCU and just use a junction box, as the MCB now only has to protect a 2m surface mount cable? I don't mind putting in an FCU, but I already have a 30A junction box which will save me a trip to the shops. The reason for using this circuit is that it is surface mounted for 50cm before it goes thru the wall, all other circuits go directly out the back of the CU. Thanks.

Im sure my English/Wales colleagues will correct me here... but a circuit is only Part P notifiable if it serves a particular location... namely kitchen, bathroom or external.
It may still need tested properly whatever you put on the end of it.

Sometimes when installing a new socket close to the CU, and there is a spare way, depending on the use, it can make sense to put it on its own MCB or RCBO. But it is then a new circuit, and needs notifying.

Put exactly the same socket and wiring as a spur at the origin, on an existing socket circuit (RFC or radial), and no notification is needed.

In this case, assuming we are talking about 13A sockets, I'd add it as a spur to an existing circuit. I don't see why a circuit with no outlets can't qualify as an existing circuit!

Obviously it needs RCD protection, which presumably the recent CU has.

Im sure my English/Wales colleagues will correct me here... but a circuit is only Part P notifiable if it serves a particular location... namely kitchen, bathroom or external.
Kitchen is no longer considered a special location in England, I believe Wales may differ though?

I believe Part P notifiable work is, special locations, installation of new circuit(s), upgrading/replacing distribution switch gear.

Did I miss any?

Thanks SJD. The socket will be in the garage along with the CU which is fully RCD'd. I'm having FTTP broadband installed, the socket is for the Openreach fibre optic modem. It will be a 13A socket with 2.5mm T&E. Still a question of whether I need an FCU or just a junction box.

You don't need an FCU any more than you need an FCU for any other socket. The plug you put into it will be fused. It is also protected by a 16 amp MCB.

Reply to Part P notifiable question in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock