Discuss Pat testing for self-employed individuals in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Self employed individuals. No staff. Are they expected to have PAT Testing? Have seen online that they are expected to have it to be compliant. Would like to find were it officially states this if the case.

Self employed individuals. No staff. Are they expected to have PAT Testing? Have seen online that they are expected to have it to be compliant. Would like to find were it officially states this if the case.
If you are an Electrician, self employed, and you need to know if your portable tools are safe to use, then give up.

Looking to become more qualified. Hence the post on a Forum. Im a certified PAT Tester as of January. Is this not a site for asking such questions? If not could you direct me towards a more suitable forum site please. I’m looking for actual answers not criticism.

Last edited:
I think you misunderstood. I’m not referring to my tools. My tools, and equipment are fine.
I’ve asked a self employed individual if he needs a pat tester who has said he doesn’t need PAT Testing as he has no employees.
Am I writing the initial post wrong or something.

Martin, chill out buddy, everyone on here is trying to help you. Keep asking questions and you will learn loads. Don't be scared to ask what you think may be a stupid question - no question is stupid and you can bet there are others that will be grateful you've asked it as they didn't want to! I certainly have learned a lot in a year or so here, my experience is in a fairly niche sector (temp power) so I joined primarily to further my knowledge of the more mainstream stuff.

I’ve asked a self employed individual if he needs a pat tester who has said he doesn’t need PAT Testing as he has no employees.
Depends on the circumstances, in many cases "yes".
If a self employed individual owns electrical tools / equipment that he takes on site or uses in his own business premises, then ISITEE would be the usual way to show due diligence in so far as complying with the EAW regulations.
If a self employed individual only uses electrical equipment that he/she hires or the equipment is provided at the place of work, then the ISITEE would not be the responsibility of the individual, although if hiring, he/she may ask for proof of testing to take onto certain sites.

I think you misunderstood. I’m not referring to my tools. My tools, and equipment are fine.
Am I writing the initial post wrong or something.
It depends on his clients.
eg. I know a DJ and someone who does dance classes. Both need their equipment up to standard because some require certified equipment for the premises in which they are being used.

In this particular instance. I’m referring to a company of one person, who works within his his own rented property within a larger building, who uses power tools to carry out repairs. Would he need to PAT Test his appliances or is he not required as he has no employees.

There is no legal requirement for PATesting. The legislation which must be followed are Health and Safety at Work Act 1974, Electricity at Work Regulations 1989, The Provision and Use Work Regulations 1998 and The Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations 1999.
One way to satisfy some of this is PATesting but it is not the only way to satisfy this legislation. These Regulations apply to one person enterprises as well as any other business.

There is no legal requirement for PATesting. The legislation which must be followed are Health and Safety at Work Act 1974, Electricity at Work Regulations 1989, The Provision and Use Work Regulations 1998 and The Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations 1999.
One way to satisfy some of this is PATesting but it is not the only way to satisfy this legislation. These Regulations apply to one person enterprises as well as any other business.
…...in many cases, it's on the instruction of their insurance provider.

…...in many cases, it's on the instruction of their insurance provider.
^^^ This.
Within the mobile entertainment industry, bands and DJs performing at hotels, golf clubs, community halls, etc. are asked for a copy of their public liability insurance and proof of PAT. If they cannot provide it, they won't be allowed to play there. This is generally a requirement of the venue's insurer.

Where would I find it Please.
This may help.

Martin, as I mentioned in another thread, you would benefit from taking the 2377-32 exam, as this covers the management requirements for maintenance of equipment, which most of your questions seem to be about.
IIRC, you indicated the course you took recently gave you a competency certificate, but not a C&G 2377-22 qualification.
Have a look at the 2377-22 and 2377-32 combined courses available. Also, as you've indicated you are competent from the training and test you took, definitely do some actual testing before you go on the C&G, even if it's just appliances at home. It will make better sense of everything for you and give you questions to ask that you won't think of from the classroom alone.

Last edited by a moderator:

Is this stated somewhere

Reply to Pat testing for self-employed individuals in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock