Discuss Pat testing. How many are you expected to do? in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

L

leroy989

Hello all.
Quick question, how many items are you expected to test per hour? (Properly not lick and stick)
Had a moaning at today for being to slow.
In 3 hours I tested 124 items by the book and was told this was not a good amount, this includes scratching around under desks dicconecting, testing and putting the items back.
I know that some people I work with are happy with the lick and stick method and ive seen some shocking stuff that has "PASSED" but I'm not willing to put my name to something thats not been done properly.

roughly 90 seconds per item....

That's more than I'd even get close to.

I don't do a lot of Pat testing though.

I recently did a similar amount of items on a building over 4 floors and it took me a day.

That included minor repairs.

Having said that I don't price per item but by the hour and frankly couldn't care less if my Pat tester never got used again.

It's mind numbingly boring and I have no intention of trying to compete with the lick and stickers.

Last edited:
Try and get a different job,these firms are thieves and rogues
These rouges have no interest in the safety of the items they are contracted to ensure are indeed safe,because of what you post

There is a hanging thread on here at the moment,they merit inclusion

Last edited:
These companies are interested in profit as oppose to safety ... the issue here is if anyone gets hurt they can just say it was ok at the time of testing, its a scam system risen on the back of insurance policies demanding testing....your best looking for alternative work as you will become braindead and work your --- of for little reward while the pen pushes reap it in, while getting no real experience in the world of electrical work.

PS change your profile... Residence maintenence Engineer is an hyped up title for handy man .... without at least a HNC you cannot class yourself as an Engineer and if you had this you wouldn't be sticking pass stickers on plug tops.

Done PAT testing a few years back and my target was 75 items a day, after that I was on bonus pay. Not possible to correctly and fully test that 124 items in 3 hours in my opinion.

You are doing more tests in 3 hours than I do in a day.I do a thorough check from plug to appliance, all tests and print and apply the relevant label. There is no way that you are doing a correct job if you are only spending around 90 seconds per item. If your employer expects you to do more, then you might want to disassociate yourself from them.

Sorry mate but if you are scratching around under desks AND doing 40+ items per hour you are NOT doing it properly.

JMO
I was thinking the same. I take a morning to do about 20 items. Not sure my pat tester would work that fast if I had all the items in front of me!

Depends on the site and how easy access is. But I've been on so many sites where I was told..... your not as fast as the guys here last year....then asked why am I opening the plugs, those "same guys" last year didn't do that. I also found plugs with the damn cardboard still on the end of the plug. So if they expect more then what was it 124 items in 3 hours they are used to people just stickering. Not carrying out full checks or repairs such as changing uninsulated pinned plugs etc

On a good site wth 100% access and no problems ill aim myself to do 25 to 30 per hour including minor works and proper visual checks, I mean I've seen people sticker an appliance and I had to point out all the exposed cable from the flex.....

Last edited:
I'm happy to say that any work I carry out is done properly, I know the chaps I work with are happy to just slap a sticker on anything but that's not my cup of tea, this includes what I would say are high risk areas such as schools nursing homes ect. I had a chat with the director about the amount of testing I had done and was told pull your finger out or pack your tools up and f**k off.
I'm now looking for a new job.

I aim for an average of 5 minutes per item, which includes minor repairs.
PMSL, although I and others will see your point, you will never win any contracts at that time, you will need to do 1 every 2 mins to keep up with the Cowboys who run the market.

PMSL, although I and others will see your point, you will never win any contracts at that time, you will need to do 1 every 2 mins to keep up with the Cowboys who run the market.
I'm not trying to win PAT testing contracts. If you just want a sticker put on every plug or a pile of appliances failed for the lowest price then I would recommend getting a cowboy to do it, not me.

I'm doing the testing for a local charity shop on a Saturday morning and I aim to get though 10-15 items per hour.

I arrive and there is generally a big pile of stuff, so no hunting around
I pre-fill a sheet of labels with my initials and the date,
Use a sheet of bar codes for common appliance types and notes (repairs, fuse rating etc)

Not sure I could go much quicker without cutting corners,

I did read an article comparing the Seaward Europa+, Primetest 350, the newest Megger and a battpat(i think)

When testing the same set of appliances the Megger was so many seconds faster than the other testers (Europa+ being the slowest) thus saving 30% more time on the actual tests, but since I generally fill out my labels when the tester is doing its thing I'm not sure how worth it a £1200+vat + software costs upgrade would be :whatchutalkingabout

Welcome to the forum GrantsonUK... thanks for your input, please note on the Thread posting date when you are adding your input, this one is several months old ;)

Hello all.
Quick question, how many items are you expected to test per hour? (Properly not lick and stick)
Had a moaning at today for being to slow.
In 3 hours I tested 124 items by the book and was told this was not a good amount, this includes scratching around under desks dicconecting, testing and putting the items back.
I know that some people I work with are happy with the lick and stick method and ive seen some shocking stuff that has "PASSED" but I'm not willing to put my name to something thats not been done properly.

124 items in 3 hours - by the book - no offense but what book was that, the pat testing book for cowboys?

Depends on the site and how easy access is. But I've been on so many sites where I was told..... your not as fast as the guys here last year....then asked why am I opening the plugs, those "same guys" last year didn't do that. I also found plugs with the damn cardboard still on the end of the plug. So if they expect more then what was it 124 items in 3 hours they are used to people just stickering. Not carrying out full checks or repairs such as changing uninsulated pinned plugs etc

On a good site wth 100% access and no problems ill aim myself to do 25 to 30 per hour including minor works and proper visual checks, I mean I've seen people sticker an appliance and I had to point out all the exposed cable from the flex.....

Again, cannot see how you could be doing a proper job doing that many in an hour, 2 minutes is no time at all to do the checks and minor repairs etc.

Again, cannot see how you could be doing a proper job doing that many in an hour, 2 minutes is no time at all to do the checks and minor repairs etc.
Digging this thread up !!! "Minor repairs" . Included in the works? Not in my book .Its a simple pass or fail set up. Not a repair to pass test !

Reply to Pat testing. How many are you expected to do? in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock