Discuss Pat testing UPS in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

P

Paullestrange

Hi,i will be starting a new job in a weeks time,which involves a certain amount of PAT testing.As my experience lies within the Industrial sector i was wondering if any of you guys could offer some advice / guidance on how to test UPS.Thanking you all in advance.

Paul are these the rack mountable/ Tower 5 -10KVa type your talking about or the larger independent ones?

If they are the rack mounted smaller type you would test the same as any class II IT equipment, but you would need to arrange a shutdown on them.

The larger ones will most likely have a dedicated maintenance regime built into them by the most likely the supplier

Hi Malcolm, i would presume they are going to be smaller type. My problem lies with after safe isolation the UPS Batterys will still be servicing dedicated safety systems,IT equipment etc

To be honest Paul I have yet to see a PAT sticker on a UPS.

It really is not a piece of Equipment that normally comes under such a regime as often there are much more stringent checks and frequent checks done on these than your average office equipment.

Often batteries are checked quarterly and I have known them to be done monthly, and during that time with the unit shut down you normally check over the unit such as fans, filters etc.

Most modern day UPS are so sophisticated that they even include a management system that is often linked to either a BMS or a service station and that will give you all the performance and test readings you need

Malcolm,I would agree with you that UPS would/should be linked to a device such as BMS.I was made redundant Three Months ago,and as i stated in my opening thread i have been involved with the Industrial side of our Industry for longer than i care to remember,with that said you can imagine im not so well up on my PAT Testing.I do know what i would call the basics IE Class I Class 2,the different test between each,but the finer points like testing IT equipment without frying its boards,etc etc etc I mentioned UPS only as a precuation as this topic was mentioned at initial interview.

Last edited by a moderator:
Then as I said in my original post Paul if they are the small individual units that is to power a single work station tower/laptop PC you will test it as any other piece of equipment in the office according to it's class.

I would though imagine that you might need to battery test more than the once yearly normally recommended with office equipment or for IT equipment 2 yearly as most is class II.

I would recommend you treat a battery test similar to emergency lighting quarterly and yearly regime

Malcolm, your a Gent. Thank you very much for your help,you have reduced my fears somewhat,i believe Pat Testing accounts for 20%-25% of my new position (Fingers Crossed)so yes im a little more confident,but realize i still have a lot to learn about Pat. Cheers

No problems Paul hope all goes well for you. Have you got a copy of the Code of Practice for In-service inspection and testing of electrical equipment?? Try to refer to it as that if you can, as that is what it really is, and technical matters often confuse the bean counters.

As an Industrial sparks you should fly it mate.

Well thanks for your vote of confidence,its just the getting your head around new things(when your Fifty it gets harder) the CoP,i believe i will be getting from the company,Yup a company that looks after its obligations and Employees.

Reply to Pat testing UPS in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock